[NatureNS] Palmeter Woods today - vireo and Magnolias

From: "Judy" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 23:20:43 -0300

Had a few minutes to visit Palmeter Woods (behind the Evergreen Home, west
end of Kentville) this lovely afternoon, preparing for my NSMC foray with
Sheila McCurdy next Saturday.  It was a surprisingly hot day, temp must have
reached into the 20's Celsius.  The changes that have taken place in this
lovely old bird sanctuary have completely destroyed some wonderful habitat
for wildlife, it's depressing.

Around the entrance and along the old rail track a few woodpeckers, jays,
chickadees and white-throated and song sparrows could be heard.  From the
river came the sounds of  Red-wing Blackbirds.  Robins were everywhere. The
cheerful sound of 'peepers' and some wood frogs in  the 'eastern' marshy
area rang through the woods.  Once across the bridge I found a Blue-headed
Vireo singing in the top of a bare tree.  Later on my return  two Magnolia
Warblers appeared in the same location,  possibly a pair, as there was much
tail displaying as they moved together from tree to tree. I could hear a
pair of Canada Geese calling to each other from the Cornwallis River but
little else.  Hopefully it will be better birding this coming weekend.

While preparing dinner at home tonight,  I happened to see a large bird fly
into our backyard and perch on our clothesline near our bird feeders. It
turned out to be a female Merlin.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

 Judy Tufts