[NatureNS] A pond management question....

Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 11:25:21 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 5/7/2015 7:45 AM, Eleanor Lindsay wrote:
> In rapid order, following the final disappearance of ice from my pond at
> the very end of April (and before I had got round to skimming the
> floating green algae from the surface), first one wood frog appeared,
> then a second, (quickly followed by an approx 5cm blob of frog spawn!)
> and then a host of peeper voices - all of which are so welcome, but my
> question is: _do these frogs like/eat the floating algae?_
> It does not enhance the pond appearance and in normal years I have
> usually cleared this well before their arrival, however, under the
> present circumstances I don't want to do anything to disrupt their
> return and, given the brief window of opportunity before the tadpoles
> appear, I would very much appreciate advice on whether at this point,
> and in the best interests of the frogs, I should leave or remove the algae.

* some tadpoles eat some kinds of algae! You could leave the algae, and
see if the tadpoles seem to be nibbling on it - alternatively, maybe
there's plenty of food in your pond, and removing the algae is a way of
removing nutrients from the system (of course transforming frogs also
remove nutrients from the system).

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/