[NatureNS] A pond management question....

Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 19:43:44 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------090500000105050003090509

Thanks Lance - while the focus of this particular question was mainly
the wellbeing of the frogs and the soon-to-emerge tadpoles, you have
expanded my awareness of algae's role in ponds - very welcome!

Eleanor
(And yes, like you I usually do end up periodically removing at least
some of it over the summer!)

On 07/05/2015 1:27 PM, Laviolette, Lance (EXP) wrote:
> Hi Eleanor,
>
> Lots of organisms use algae for many reasons. If your pond is like mine then I suspect you remove lots of algae periodically throughout the summer and I doubt you get all of it each time. As such, I doubt very much that the removal this time will change or upset the established seasonal 'rhythm' of your pond.
>
> All the best,
>
> Lance
>
> Lance Laviolette
> Glen Robertson, Ontario

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      question was mainly the wellbeing of the frogs and the soon-to-emerge
      tadpoles</font>, you have expanded my awareness of algae's role in
    ponds - very welcome!<br>
    Eleanor<br>
    (And yes, like you I usually do end up periodically removing at
    least some of it over the summer!)<br>
      Lance (EXP) wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:990B3EE94E8A61448C998FEBAEAFC0240B05F1F7@HCXDSPM2.ca.lmco.com"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Hi Eleanor,

Lots of organisms use algae for many reasons. If your pond is like mine then I suspect you remove lots of algae periodically throughout the summer and I doubt you get all of it each time. As such, I doubt very much that the removal this time will change or upset the established seasonal 'rhythm' of your pond.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario

        <pre wrap="">In rapid order, following the final disappearance of ice from my pond
at the very end of April (and before I had got round to skimming the
floating green algae from the surface), first one wood frog appeared,
then a second, (quickly followed by an approx 5cm blob of frog spawn!)
and then a host of peeper voices - all of which are so welcome, but my
question is: _do these frogs like/eat the floating algae?_ It does not
enhance the pond appearance and in normal years I have usually cleared
this well before their arrival, however, under the present
circumstances I don't want to do anything to disrupt their return and,
given the brief window of opportunity before the tadpoles appear, I
would very much appreciate advice on whether at this point, and in the
best interests of the frogs, I should leave or remove the algae.
</pre>
      <pre wrap="">

</pre>

--------------090500000105050003090509--