[NatureNS] North American Migration Count

Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 12:00:53 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------050107060400080700030302

Our count day from Sober Island to Smiths Settlement was also great.
Our numbers were up in both species and individuals (although the latter
was up primarily because of a large flock of Herring Gulls following the
fishing boats).  American Robins were up from 53 to 113, and were higher
than starlings for a change.  We had no Tree Swallows last year but saw
16 this year.  Three new species for the area were Horned Grebe,
Red-necked Grebe and Least Sandpipers.  Total species was 48 (41 last year).

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 09/05/2015 10:31 PM, James Hirtle wrote:
> We had a great day in the field with 66 species.  Worrisome to me was
> way lower numbers of American Robins and we were down about 200 birds
> overall from what we normally see on the route we cover.  The biggest
> surprise for me was a verry.  I thought initially that it was an
> ovenbird, until my better half said why doesn't it have the orange
> patch on the head like an ovenbird.  I then realized wait a minute
> she's right it is not an overbird but a verry.  The pictures clearly
> show it as such.  We did get an ovenbird too.  We had nine species of
> warbler, but missed American redstart, which we always get in sizeable
> numbers. Also missing was swamp sparrows and some other species that
> we always see.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> LaHave

--------------050107060400080700030302

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      Settlement was also great.  Our numbers were up in both species
      and </font>individuals (although the latter was up primarily
    because of a large flock of Herring Gulls following the fishing
    boats).  American Robins were up from 53 to 113, and were higher
    than starlings for a change.  We had no Tree Swallows last year but
    saw 16 this year.  Three new species for the area were Horned Grebe,
    Red-necked Grebe and Least Sandpipers.  Total species was 48 (41
    last year).<br>
    Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style>
          in the field with 66 species.  Worrisome to me was way lower
          numbers of American Robins and we were down about 200 birds
          overall from what we normally see on the route we cover.  The
          biggest surprise for me was a verry.  I thought initially that
          it was an ovenbird, until my better half said why doesn't it
          have the orange patch on the head like an ovenbird.  I then
          realized wait a minute she's right it is not an overbird but a
          verry.  The pictures clearly show it as such.  We did get an
          ovenbird too.  We had nine species of warbler, but missed
          American redstart, which we always get in sizeable numbers.
          Also missing was swamp sparrows and some other species that we
          always see.  </font><br>

--------------050107060400080700030302--