[NatureNS] Ticks, Lyme, etc...

From: K MacDonald <krissymacd@hotmail.com>
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 06:52:01 -0300

--_de250e8f-a3c9-449d-b675-658553b4373a_

Hi Bev=2C

This looks like an American Dog Tick to me--dormacentor variabilis. =0A=
 I think=2C as kids=2C we might`ve called them wood ticks too.  I`ve had a =
=0A=
couple of these on my spaniel already this season=2C but so far=2C none of =
=0A=
the dreaded black-legged variety.  I have family in Yarmouth County and =0A=
amongst them=2C two Labs are positive for Lyme.  One was vaccinated =0A=
according to schedule=3B they`ve been told the vax is only 95% effective.

Southwest=0A=
 Nova seems to be a hotbed of Lyme-carrying deer ticks.  In one =0A=
particular area=2C just outside of the town of Yarmouth=2C there is a large=
 =0A=
white-tail deer population--very visible=2C of course=2C because this is a =
=0A=
residential area.  The local vet`s office that has noticed that the 2-3 =0A=
dogs they diagnose with Lyme per week often come from homes within the =0A=
deer=3Dpopulated area.

About your question of where to send =0A=
ticks--you`re right AH would be the best possible person to respond =0A=
here.  I do know that last year=2C my vet (in Kentville) was collecting any=
 confirmed black-leggeds and sending them off to a researcher at Dalhousie.=
  I have no idea if that study is complete or not.

I hope some of that helps!

Krista
(North Mountain)
> From: bkwigney@gmail.com
> Subject: [NatureNS] Ticks=2C Lyme=2C etc...
> Date: Tue=2C 12 May 2015 00:02:36 -0300
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> All=2C
>=20
> A few weeks ago=2C there was a post asking what impact the severe winter =
might have on ticks.  I'm wondering how the tick population seems to be tre=
nding.  Here at my place at Round Hill=2C I wasn't seeing any until about 3=
 days ago.  I have since found a very small one on my head and another on o=
ne of my dogs this morning.  I don't really know how to ID most of the tick=
s except mature dog ticks.  I'm posting a photo of the tick removed from my=
 dog this morning in case someone wants to ID it.  I've created a gallery o=
n PBase and over the next while=2C will  post tick photos in it and caption=
 them in hopes of making it easy for others to identify ticks.  Here's the =
URL to this morning's tick if someone want's to ID it.  I'm guessing it is =
a Deer tick.  I hope this link works.
> http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/160037621
> By the way=2C this tick is trapped in a folded piece of packaging tape.  =
That's what I do with them when I find them - fold the tape with the tick t=
rapped in the center=2C then write the date on the tape edge with a marker =
pen and stick the tape to the wall in my office and keep them in case I wan=
t to submit them somewhere if I or the dogs ever seem to be coming down wit=
h something.   The ticks seem to remain alive=2C entombed in the tape=2C fo=
r a very long time.
> Anyhow=2C this brings me to another question - probably best answered by =
Andrew Hebda.  Is anyone wanting ticks for testing this spring?  Do you jus=
t check the species=2C or are the ticks actually tested for the presence of=
 Lyme? =20
> Today=2C I dropped by my vet's office here in Annapolis Royal and they me=
ntioned that there have been three cases of Lyme in this area -- I think th=
ese were cases in dogs -- so they have been informing pet owners to be part=
icularly vigilant. I do get my dogs vaccinated for Lyme each year=2C but it=
's not entirely protective.  A friend in Connecticut just had her black Lab=
 come down with Lyme for the second time even though it has been vaccinated=
 for several years. =20
>=20
> Bev Wigney
> Round Hill=2C NS
> =20
>=20
 		 	   		  =

--_de250e8f-a3c9-449d-b675-658553b4373a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
like an American Dog Tick to me--<i>dormacentor variabilis</i>.&nbsp=3B=0A=
 I think=2C as kids=2C we might`ve called them wood ticks too.&nbsp=3B I`ve=
 had a =0A=
couple of these on my spaniel already this season=2C but so far=2C none of =
=0A=
the dreaded black-legged variety.&nbsp=3B I have family in Yarmouth County =
and =0A=
amongst them=2C two Labs are positive for Lyme.&nbsp=3B One was vaccinated =
=0A=
according to schedule=3B they`ve been told the vax is only 95% effective.<b=
r><br>Southwest=0A=
 Nova seems to be a hotbed of Lyme-carrying deer ticks.&nbsp=3B In one =0A=
particular area=2C just outside of the town of Yarmouth=2C there is a large=
 =0A=
white-tail deer population--very visible=2C of course=2C because this is a =
=0A=
residential area.&nbsp=3B The local vet`s office that has noticed that the =
2-3 =0A=
dogs they diagnose with Lyme per week often come from homes within the =0A=
deer=3Dpopulated area.<br><br>About your question of where to send =0A=
ticks--you`re right AH would be the best possible person to respond =0A=
here.&nbsp=3B I do know that last year=2C my vet (in Kentville) was collect=
ing any confirmed black-leggeds and sending them off to a researcher at Dal=
housie.&nbsp=3B I have no idea if that study is complete or not.<br><br>I h=
om: bkwigney@gmail.com<br>&gt=3B Subject: [NatureNS] Ticks=2C Lyme=2C etc..=
.<br>&gt=3B Date: Tue=2C 12 May 2015 00:02:36 -0300<br>&gt=3B To: naturens@=
 ago=2C there was a post asking what impact the severe winter might have on=
 ticks.  I'm wondering how the tick population seems to be trending.  Here =
at my place at Round Hill=2C I wasn't seeing any until about 3 days ago.  I=
 have since found a very small one on my head and another on one of my dogs=
 this morning.  I don't really know how to ID most of the ticks except matu=
re dog ticks.  I'm posting a photo of the tick removed from my dog this mor=
ning in case someone wants to ID it.  I've created a gallery on PBase and o=
ver the next while=2C will  post tick photos in it and caption them in hope=
s of making it easy for others to identify ticks.  Here's the URL to this m=
orning's tick if someone want's to ID it.  I'm guessing it is a Deer tick. =
 I hope this link works.<br>&gt=3B http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/160=
037621<br>&gt=3B By the way=2C this tick is trapped in a folded piece of pa=