[NatureNS] Ticks, Lyme, etc...

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 09:26:38 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

 with a mark

--Apple-Mail=_F7A9943D-1C13-4928-9C25-1E305AD8A16B

Krista (and all),

Thanks!  I heard from Andrew Hebda and he confirmed your ID.  I've just =
found a couple of more on my dogs this morning and they look the same.  =
The one that I found on my head was probably the same as well, but quite =
small (a nymph sized tick). =20

Until about 3 days ago, I was thinking maybe we would be lucky and this =
wasn't going to be a bad year as the dogs and I have been out and about =
all over the property daily without seemingly picking up ticks.  Now, =
over the past 3 days, they are suddenly making an appearance.  =
Ironically, earlier this week, I was in the middle of writing an email =
to my mother (who lives in Ontario), telling her that the ticks didn't =
seem to be bad this year, when I felt the familiar crawling of a tick on =
the top of my head.  Guess I jumped the gun on thinking this might be a =
good year.  Looks like it might actually be bad after all!

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS

On 2015-05-12, at 6:52 AM, K MacDonald <krissymacd@hotmail.com> wrote:

>=20
> Hi Bev,
>=20
> This looks like an American Dog Tick to me--dormacentor variabilis.  I =
think, as kids, we might`ve called them wood ticks too.  I`ve had a =
couple of these on my spaniel already this season, but so far, none of =
the dreaded black-legged variety.  I have family in Yarmouth County and =
amongst them, two Labs are positive for Lyme.  One was vaccinated =
according to schedule; they`ve been told the vax is only 95% effective.
>=20
> Southwest Nova seems to be a hotbed of Lyme-carrying deer ticks.  In =
one particular area, just outside of the town of Yarmouth, there is a =
large white-tail deer population--very visible, of course, because this =
is a residential area.  The local vet`s office that has noticed that the =
2-3 dogs they diagnose with Lyme per week often come from homes within =
the deer=3Dpopulated area.
>=20
> About your question of where to send ticks--you`re right AH would be =
the best possible person to respond here.  I do know that last year, my =
vet (in Kentville) was collecting any confirmed black-leggeds and =
sending them off to a researcher at Dalhousie.  I have no idea if that =
study is complete or not.
>=20
> I hope some of that helps!
>=20
> Krista
> (North Mountain)

--Apple-Mail=_F7A9943D-1C13-4928-9C25-1E305AD8A16B

charset=3Diso-8859-1"><base href=3D"x-msg://123/"></head><body =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Krista (and =
confirmed your ID. &nbsp;I've just found a couple of more on my dogs =
this morning and they look the same. &nbsp;The one that I found on my =
head was probably the same as well, but quite small (a nymph sized =
thinking maybe we would be lucky and this wasn't going to be a bad year =
as the dogs and I have been out and about all over the property daily =
without seemingly picking up ticks. &nbsp;Now, over the past 3 days, =
they are suddenly making an appearance. &nbsp;Ironically, earlier this =
week, I was in the middle of writing an email to my mother (who lives in =
Ontario), telling her that the ticks didn't seem to be bad this year, =
when I felt the familiar crawling of a tick on the top of my head. =
&nbsp;Guess I jumped the gun on thinking this might be a good year. =
&nbsp;Looks like it might actually be bad after =
href=3D"mailto:krissymacd@hotmail.com">krissymacd@hotmail.com</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div class=3D"hmmessage" style=3D"font-size: 12pt; =
font-family: Calibri; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div =
me--<i>dormacentor variabilis</i>.&nbsp; I think, as kids, we might`ve =
called them wood ticks too.&nbsp; I`ve had a couple of these on my =
spaniel already this season, but so far, none of the dreaded =
black-legged variety.&nbsp; I have family in Yarmouth County and amongst =
them, two Labs are positive for Lyme.&nbsp; One was vaccinated according =
to schedule; they`ve been told the vax is only 95% =
effective.<br><br>Southwest Nova seems to be a hotbed of Lyme-carrying =
deer ticks.&nbsp; In one particular area, just outside of the town of =
Yarmouth, there is a large white-tail deer population--very visible, of =
course, because this is a residential area.&nbsp; The local vet`s office =
that has noticed that the 2-3 dogs they diagnose with Lyme per week =
often come from homes within the deer=3Dpopulated area.<br><br>About =
your question of where to send ticks--you`re right AH would be the best =
possible person to respond here.&nbsp; I do know that last year, my vet =
(in Kentville) was collecting any confirmed black-leggeds and sending =
them off to a researcher at Dalhousie.&nbsp; I have no idea if that =
study is complete or not.<br><br>I hope some of that =

--Apple-Mail=_F7A9943D-1C13-4928-9C25-1E305AD8A16B--