[NatureNS] Pine elfins

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 13:33:00 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-85C39375-1857-407D-B356-3286993C7767

Hi Angus
Do you have any tips on finding pine elfins? So far I have not found any for=
 the butterfly atlas.  I assume you are searching near pines? Mature or youn=
g? Do you have to look high on tree or on ground near the trees? Are there w=
et areas nearby?   The Brown and Hoary Elfins I have seen in past years were=
 close to the ground. Any tips you can share would be appreciated.. I see on=
ly 1 record this way probably by Richard Mash who has done a lot of good wor=
k in the southern part of Antigonish and northern Guysborough counties.  But=
 if there was a record east of here I assume they are here and I am overlook=
ing them or not going out at the right time.=20
Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad

> On May 14, 2015, at 12:27 PM, Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> On a cool morning but warming up nicely:
>=20
> - 6 Ovenbirds, Pileated Woodpecker, B/H Vireo, two Barred Owls calling,  R=
ed-breasted Nuthatch, Wilson's Snipe, 2 Yellow-rumps, Catbird, Veery, Hairy W=
oodpecker whose tapping sounded like a Black-backed. No warblers in the deep=
 woods as yet.
> - NO Least Flycatchers (good numbers usually present here)=20
>=20
> - 3 Pine Elfins (near Seven Bridges)
>=20
> - numerous small insects anywhere that was sunlit & had leaf cover; many s=
hiny black Ichneumon Wasps ( vibrating their wings constantly - managed a fe=
w pics), a few orange Ichneumon Wasps (likely Ophion), too active  to photog=
raph; a few Thread-waisted Wasps, Sawflies, many Bee Flies, many small flies=
 (perhaps all Tachinids.
>=20
> 1 Mustard White (at home in Coldbrook).
>=20
> Previous sightings of Leps: 1 Spring Azure, Seven Bridges, May 4; 1 Pine E=
lfin, Jensens, Coldbrook May 9.
>=20
> Angus

--Apple-Mail-85C39375-1857-407D-B356-3286993C7767

s on finding pine elfins? So far I have not found any for the butterfly atla=
s. &nbsp;I assume you are searching near pines? Mature or young? Do you have=
 to look high on tree or on ground near the trees? Are there wet areas nearb=
y? &nbsp; The Brown and Hoary Elfins I have seen in past years were close to=
 the ground. Any tips you can share would be appreciated.. I see only 1 reco=
rd this way probably by Richard Mash who has done a lot of good work in the s=
outhern part of Antigonish and northern Guysborough counties. &nbsp;But if t=
here was a record east of here I assume they are here and I am overlooking t=
 PM, Angus MacLean &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cold_mac@hotmail.com">cold_mac@hotm=

.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style>
ds, Pileated Woodpecker, B/H Vireo, two Barred Owls calling,&nbsp; Red-breas=
ted Nuthatch, Wilson's Snipe, 2 Yellow-rumps, Catbird, Veery, Hairy Woodpeck=
er whose tapping sounded like a Black-backed. No warblers in the deep woods a=
s yet.<br>- NO Least Flycatchers (good numbers usually present here) <br><br=
>- 3 Pine Elfins (near Seven Bridges)<br><br>- numerous small insects anywhe=
re that was sunlit &amp; had leaf cover; many shiny black Ichneumon Wasps ( v=
ibrating their wings constantly - managed a few pics), a few orange Ichneumo=
n Wasps (likely Ophion), too active&nbsp; to photograph; a few Thread-waiste=