[NatureNS] Problems with puffin colony in New Brunswick

From: Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 12:26:58 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1132ecc0fad28d0516207b10

Ralph Eldridge reported the following from Machias Seal Island in New
Brunswick:

*"The initial Puffin nest check conducted yesterday only found 2 occupied
nests and 1 egg.  Something is certainly going on and I'm worried that it's
nothing good. There are some birds on the water but nowhere near what there
should be. Some birds are coming ashore from time to time but few are
staying very long. It's now 3 to 5 weeks beyond the time they are usually
settled into the summer routine. Right now, it seems to me that a handful
of very dedicated birds have settled into their breeding/nesting cycle
while the vast majority either haven't started or have given up. Just
speculation on my part but something is very, very, odd."*

Can anyone comment on the situation with puffin colonies in Nova Scotia?

Blake

--
Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia

 <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--001a1132ecc0fad28d0516207b10

ault" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Ralph Eldridg=
e reported the following from Machias Seal Island in New Brunswick:<br><br>=
<i>&quot;The initial Puffin nest check conducted yesterday only found 2 occ=
upied nests and 1 egg.=C2=A0 Something is certainly going on and I&#39;m wo=
rried that it&#39;s nothing good.<br><br>
There are some birds on the water but nowhere near what there should be.
 Some birds are coming ashore from time to time but few are staying very
 long. It&#39;s now 3 to 5 weeks beyond the time they are usually settled=
=20
into the summer routine.<br><br>
Right now, it seems to me that a handful of very dedicated birds have=20
settled into their breeding/nesting cycle while the vast majority either
 haven&#39;t started or have given up. Just speculation on my part but=20
fault" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Can anyone c=
div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-siz=
=3D"ltr"><font size=3D"4"><a href=3D"mailto:bmaybank@gmail.com" target=3D"_=
blank">Blake Maybank</a><br>

White&#39;s Lake, Nova Scotia<br>

</a><br>