[NatureNS] Orioles, Finches and RoseBreasted Grosbeak

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 19:46:56 -0300

Another wonderful day of birds and sun here in White Point, Queens. I worked
outside some and was pleased to be visited by a lovely male Rose Breasted
Grosbeak. Not long after that several Baltimore Orioles (males and Juveniles
I'd say) blew in, strutted their stuff then off to make way for a couple
purple finch males and 5 either females or juveniles, hard to say from the
driveway. They sat up high, sang awhile, then seemed to be chased off by
American goldfinches.

The chickadees have a sweet tooth and aren't taking any guff from the
Hummingbirds. When they want a sip they get one.  That seems to have settled
down some now.
There is something chasing the Tree Swallows. Small, pointy winged,  fast
and not a Sharp shinned Hawk.
There seems to be only one barn Swallow in the neighbourhood. I will see can
I check the barn tomorrow.

Things are very, very dry. Right now, there is a fire out at about 3 Mile,
(near the range) outside Milton, Queens, off route 8. Steve has been called
in.  Don't have any details to share.

Steve was back into Broad River country today to Flakeswood Bog. He said the
woods were alive with birds everywhere. He didn't have the camera so no
photos. He didn't have time to say anything much about what might have been
ID'ed as the fire call came and he had to head out.
No sign of the Catbirds at all,  Elizabeth.
There is a chipping Sparrow about still. White Crowned Sparrow seems to be
gone then shows up. I don't seem to startle it anymore coming and going so
chances are it is the same bird.
Best regards.

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd.,