[NatureNS] Tiger Swallowtail flying in strong wind- How?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 18:03:04 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Friday was extremely windy here on L Torment. So windy that the Hummingbirds could not manage to hover or land on the perches of the feeder despite several attempts and the windfish was straight out horizontal most of the day. Such strong winds are not unusual at this location.

What surprised me was watching a Tiger Swallowtail flapping merrily along in its up-and-down flight seemingly oblivious to the gales. I was only 6' from it, having a hard time holding a book's pages steady. I am not sure how the Swallowtail is able to fly in such windy conditions and looked online for answers. I only found some info on the tail helping aerodynamically but not much. Anyone here have any idea?

Nancy