[NatureNS] Pied-billed Grebe behaviour

From: "Dave&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 20:44:34 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_06AD_01D0AC63.14ADD220

Where do you live?

From: Ian Woodman=20
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 3:10 PM
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca=20
Subject: [NatureNS] Pied-billed Grebe behaviour

I=E2=80=99m hoping there=E2=80=99s an expert on Pied-billed Grebes on =
naturens who can provide insight.

I=E2=80=99ve been watching a pond for the past month & a half with =
nesting Grebes. Last year they fledged two broods (or there were two =
families on the pond successively).

This year I saw two Grebes early in May for about a week and then only =
one until this past Monday when she finally came out of the reeds with 5 =
little ones tagging along. So now there were two adults to be seen but =
they were never together. Wednesday I took my usual daily de-stressing =
trip to the pond to see them all. I was able to find one adult with =
(eventually) one baby (but no sign of the other 4) which she was =
dutifully feeding when the male flew over beside them, paddled around =
next to them for a few seconds and then proceeded to viciously attack =
the baby. The little guy managed to get away and popped up 20 or 30 feet =
away and the male again went over and attacked the baby. I only had my =
binns with me and no camera but the last image I saw was the male with =
the baby=E2=80=99s head firmly clamped in his mouth as he thrashed it =
about. Again, somehow he managed to survive and much later I found him =
snuggling up to mom for a while before she started catching food for it.

All the while the female made no attempt to stop the attacks. She =
followed them around but never intervened.

When I returned to the pond Thursday there were no babies at all to be =
found. Needless to say I am NOT happy with him!!!

I know male lions will kill young to force the female to go back into =
estrus so that he can pass his genes along but I=E2=80=99ve never heard =
of this behaviour in birds.
Does anyone have any kind of insight on this? Is this normal behaviour =
in Grebes? Do other birds practice filicide?

Thanks
Ian Woodman
------=_NextPart_000_06AD_01D0AC63.14ADD220

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; FONT-SIZE: 14px; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri, =
sans-serif; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space"=20
dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Where do you live?</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=3Dcalicoangus@bell.net=20
href=3D"mailto:calicoangus@bell.net">Ian Woodman</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, June 19, 2015 3:10 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dnaturens@chebucto.ns.ca=20
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</A> =
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [NatureNS] Pied-billed Grebe =
behaviour</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV>I=E2=80=99m hoping there=E2=80=99s an expert on Pied-billed Grebes =
on naturens who can=20
provide insight.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I=E2=80=99ve been watching a pond for the past month &amp; a half =
with nesting=20
Grebes. Last year they fledged two broods (or there were two families on =
the=20
pond successively).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This year I saw two Grebes early in May for about a week and then =
only one=20
until this past Monday when she finally came out of the reeds with 5 =
little ones=20
tagging along. So now there were two adults to be seen but they were =
never=20
together. Wednesday I took my usual daily de-stressing trip to the pond =
to see=20
them all. I was able to find one adult with (eventually) one baby (but =
no sign=20
of the other 4) which she was dutifully feeding when the male flew over =
beside=20
them, paddled around next to them for a few seconds and then proceeded =
to=20
viciously attack the baby. The little guy managed to get away and popped =
up 20=20
or 30 feet away and the male again went over and attacked the baby. I =
only had=20
my binns with me and no camera but the last image I saw was the male =
with the=20
baby=E2=80=99s head firmly clamped in his mouth as he thrashed it about. =
Again, somehow=20
he managed to survive and much later I found him snuggling up to mom for =
a while=20
before she started catching food for it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>All the while the female made no attempt to stop the attacks. She =
followed=20
them around but never intervened.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>When I returned to the pond Thursday there were no babies at all to =
be=20
found. Needless to say I am NOT happy with him!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know male lions will kill young to force the female to go back =
into=20
estrus so that he can pass his genes along but I=E2=80=99ve never heard =
of this=20
behaviour in birds.</DIV>
<DIV>Does anyone have any kind of insight on this? Is this normal =
behaviour in=20
Grebes? Do other birds practice filicide?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks</DIV>
<DIV>Ian Woodman</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_06AD_01D0AC63.14ADD220--