[NatureNS] Butterflies and birds Brookvile area Pictou Co.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:36:15 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Larry and all
Yesterday's sun brought out a number of butterflies in the Brookville- Glencoe area of Pictou Co. where three of us spent the early morning birding. I photographed a SIlver-bordered Fritillary and Azures which were moderately abundant and Mustard White with a couple seen. Not photographed were numerous Canadian Tiger Swallowtails and a single Viceroy. Since the butterfly atlas maps have yet to be updated for the 2014 sightings it is hard to remember which need to be documented for a particular square so I have not put much effort in this year to date.

It was a lovely day to be outdoors with observations such as a brood of PB Grebes on Pond at old Halifax Rd. of Westville Rd., broods of Canada Geese in a number of locations, great view of activity from the still waters behind the beaver dam off the Willard Fraser Rd., warblers such 3-4 each of Canada and Mourning and a pair of Black th. Blue in Brookville, 3-4 Red-tailed Hawks one giving that squeal attributed to Bald Eagles in movies and TV!, and a Tennessee Warbler near the south end of the Brookville-Glencoe Rd.

 Flycatchers and aerial insectivores were easily observed including Alder, Least, Yellow-bellied, several Eastern Wood Peewee and Eastern Phoebe.  We had to work a bit to find a pair of Olive-sided Flycatchers off a logging road south of Sunny Brae. A Common Nighthawk was busy there but we were unable to spot it but had one more cooperative in St. Paul's along the East River Valley. It was great to see a Chimney Swift flying with Tree Swallows over a pond just south of MacPherson's Lake.

I think we all had a great morning and the biting bugs were not bad at all. Great start to summer!
Cheers
Ken McKenna
Plymouth, Pictou Co..
Sent from my iPad