[NatureNS] large bat and Swallows

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:46:01 -0300

Last evening Steve and I attended a talk and readings by Frank MacDonald on
his books and Rural Delivery articles. It was great! As we came back to
White Point, Queens on the #3  from Liverpool, just before we reached the
Five Rivers bridge we  had an excellent glimpse of a rather large bat.
What bat? I am not sure. Not the small one for sure. There is a stillwater
just back off the road to the right (as we were driving) and it was hunting
there most likely Steve and I agreed.
It was just about 10 pm. I am having problems getting on the internet today
so if someone could pass this along to people who would like to know, I
would appreciate it.

We have two occupied Houses. Tenants are tree swallows. One looks to be on
the usual timeline to have off spring  out by July 1st. The second has had
some dispute over ownership and even a dead chick. The chick was in the
drive when I went to get mail the other day. Not much bigger than a
hummingbird. No feathers but a few prickles on the back starting. I couldn't
figure what to do with it so I placed it in the garden. It seemed in perfect
condition, to my untrained eye. Yesterday I went to look for it and of
course no sign. It came to me. There was no eye on one side of the head.
Just one eye and it was where you would expect it to be but not close to
opening. Beautiful tiny creature.
Just a couple minutes ago, Steve called me out to see a line of Tree
swallows on the clothes line below the the house that should soon fledge.
Those birds were going down into the compost pile and picking up bits and
taking them to the house while the two parent birds were flying about
gathering flying things. Not lots of chatter, in fact it was about the
quietest I have heard a gathering of Swallows. I am most concerned.

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd.,
White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point,