[NatureNS] whales etc

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:05:39 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_79803.178a30c3.42c69123_boundary

On Tuesday this week I delivered a 31ft Motor Yacht from  Penobscot Bay
Maine to Shelburne, 14 hours at an average speed of about 15kts.  No
outstanding nature events other than the usual birds, a few seals and  also a couple
of Ocean Sunfish until we were about 40 miles west of Yarmouth  when we were
approaching a large pod of whales. Given the location, I was  expecting
Northern Right Whales. We stopped and they were all around us but they  were
much bigger than right whales and had a small dorsal fin near the  tail.  There
were probably 10 whales in the pod and they stayed in the  area on the
surface and broaching for a while until they moved away. From  the size and
appearance I believe they were Fin Whales and I suspect were  after herring in
the area. Certainly a highlight of the trip. A bad part of the  trip were the
dozens of party balloons both near the coast, and offshore, many  on the
Canadian side. Most were single but there were also bundles of up to  10  of
all colours. Certainly added garbage for the ocean but also a big  hazard to
Turtles that ingest them thinking they are jellyfish.
Peter Stow
Hubbards
--part1_79803.178a30c3.42c69123_boundary

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.17842"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>On Tuesday this week I delivered a 31ft Motor Yacht fr=
om=20
Penobscot Bay Maine to Shelburne, 14 hours at an average speed of about 15=
kts.=20
No outstanding nature events other than the usual birds, a few seals&nbsp;=
and=20
also a couple of Ocean Sunfish until we were about 40 miles west of Yarmou=
th=20
when we were approaching a large pod of whales. Given the location, I was=
=20
expecting Northern Right Whales. We stopped and they were all around us bu=
t they=20
were much bigger than right whales and had a small dorsal fin near the=20
tail.&nbsp; There were probably 10 whales in the pod and they stayed in th=
e=20
area&nbsp;on the surface and broaching for a while until they moved away.=
 From=20
the size and appearance I believe they were Fin Whales and I suspect&nbsp;=
were=20
after herring in the area. Certainly a highlight of the trip. A bad part=
 of the=20
trip were the dozens of party balloons both near the coast, and offshore,=
 many=20
on the Canadian side. Most were single but there were also bundles of up=
 to=20
10&nbsp; of all colours. Certainly added garbage for the ocean but also a=
 big=20
hazard to Turtles that ingest them thinking they are jellyfish.</FONT></DI=

<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Peter Stow</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Hubbards</FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_79803.178a30c3.42c69123_boundary--