[NatureNS] Queen Bee

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 04:38:37 +0000

aXNpdCB0aGUgTWlncmF0b3J5IERyYWdvbmZseSBQYXJ0bmVyc2hpcCBzaXRlIGF0IDxhI
Thanks Phil.
Your link
http://www.migratorydragonflypartnership.org/index/welcome
advertizes an interesting project and requests collaborators, but I couldn't find much real info about migration there except at the last external link that they provide, to a journal review specifically on dragonfly migration by Michael L. May.  This downloads a free PDF file that's detailed and well worth reading (published November 2012, so quite recent).   Apart from the work on the Green Darner (A. junius), though, where the evidence from several directions seems quite persuasive, much of the rest of the info from other species on 'migration' is rather preliminary or circumstantial:  the five species listed on the Xerces site and by May are fingered as migratory, with a few other suspects, so it seems to be a highly specialized habit -- they don't all do it.  Confidence-lowering disclaimer comments recur in Xerces like 'migratory flights south in Fall, presumably their offspring, but poorly known'  where 'presumably' presumably means that it makes sense to think that it's indeed the northern adult offspring that move south, but that this doesn't (presumably) exclude the possibility that some Anax or other adults may make 2-way round trips, S->N->S, that would qualify as real migration.
   The general idea seems to be that where dragonfly 'migration' is suspected to occur, it is considered highly dispersive in both directions, S->N (early) and N->S (late) and is not highly site-specifically targetted like that of Canadian and E. USA monarchs that winter very locally in Mexico.  This lessens the need for terminally accurate navigational compass mechanisms so far in dragonflies, one of the more interesting implications from insect and other migrations -- May (2012) doesn't mention it much, except to indicate that migrants may follow contours like shorelines.
   A good read nonetheless.
   Steve (Hfx)