[NatureNS] Drivelology

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 10:55:10 -0300

Dear All,                                        July 8, 2015
    I noticed a small item in yesterday's paper; shorter than the online
edition: below.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1297470-more-shrubs-on-tundra-sign-of-climate-change

    The passage which caught my eye was the following:
"Shrub roots, which penetrate deeper into the soil than grass roots, are
also likely to break up permafrost and allow water to trickle down into it."

    Hopefully such drivel did not originate with the authors of the study in
question. It reminds me of a passage in a school book The Story of Britain
(Clement 1939) ; "The Saxons settled in the south and south-east: east
Saxons, in Essex, middle Saxons in Middlesex, south Saxons in Sussex and
west Saxons in Wessex. "