[NatureNS] Giant Ichneumon

From: GayleMacLean <duartess@EastLink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 18:30:04 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_9wI83Cgm7Pkw0jNFBDz8FQ)

Thank you, Randy,
I always find your posts so educational and informative, but, think every hair on my head stood on end, when I first read your description & use of a Giant Ichneumon wasps, ovipositor...'
All I could think of was an episode of 'The Outer Limits'!! Good chuckle!

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth

On 07/09/15 12:46 PM, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> While having supper last night, I noted a long, skinny insect fly by...not a dragon/damsel though, but I didn't get a great look...but I suspected...
>
> It flew by again and this time I had a great look at it, a Giant Ichneumon wasp...an amazingly large parasitic wasp with an ovipositor ("tail") longer than its body. It uses its ovipositor to probe inside the ears of people to lay eggs, then...whoops, wrong story. It uses its long ovipositor to probe inside trees, looking for horntail larvae...they lay their eggs inside these larvae and develop from there. Here's a picture from BugGuide.net: http://bugguide.net/node/view/295654
>
> Randy
>

> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.

--Boundary_(ID_9wI83Cgm7Pkw0jNFBDz8FQ)

<DIV>Thank you, Randy,</DIV><DIV>I always find your posts so educational and informative, but,&nbsp;think every hair on my head stood on end, when I first read your description &amp; use of&nbsp;a Giant Ichneumon wasps,&nbsp;ovipositor...' </DIV><DIV>All I could think of was an episode of 'The Outer Limits'!! Good chuckle!</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Gayle MacLean</DIV><DIV>Dartmouth</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><SPAN>On 07/09/15 12:46 PM, <B class=name>Randy Lauff </B>&lt;randy.lauff@gmail.com&gt; wrote:</SPAN>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=iwcQuote style="PADDING-LEFT: 13px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #00f 1px solid" cite=mid:CAKqJtz-D9x+pGh=Cgke7e-743tBZhNLDsAY7o55rWTMKD79R9g@mail.gmail.com type="cite">
<DIV class="mimepart text html">
<DIV dir=ltr>All,
<DIV><br /></DIV><DIV>While having supper last night, I noted a long, skinny insect fly by...not a dragon/damsel though, but I didn't get a great look...but I suspected...</DIV><DIV><br /></DIV><DIV>It flew by again and this time I had a great look at it, a Giant Ichneumon wasp...an amazingly large parasitic wasp with an ovipositor ("tail") longer than its body. It uses its ovipositor to probe inside the ears of people to lay eggs, then...whoops, wrong story. It uses its long ovipositor to probe inside trees, looking for horntail larvae...they lay their eggs inside these larvae and develop from there. Here's a picture from BugGuide.net:&nbsp;http://bugguide.net/node/view/295654</DIV><DIV><br /></DIV><DIV>Randy<BR clear=all>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

--Boundary_(ID_9wI83Cgm7Pkw0jNFBDz8FQ)--