[NatureNS] Giant Ichneumon

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 12:35:48 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113987583d93f4051a730427

All,

While having supper last night, I noted a long, skinny insect fly by...not
a dragon/damsel though, but I didn't get a great look...but I suspected...

It flew by again and this time I had a great look at it, a Giant Ichneumon
wasp...an amazingly large parasitic wasp with an ovipositor ("tail") longer
than its body. It uses its ovipositor to probe inside the ears of people to
lay eggs, then...whoops, wrong story. It uses its long ovipositor to probe
inside trees, looking for horntail larvae...they lay their eggs inside
these larvae and develop from there. Here's a picture from BugGuide.net:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/295654

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001a113987583d93f4051a730427

noted a long, skinny insect fly by...not a dragon/damsel though, but I didn=
ew by again and this time I had a great look at it, a Giant Ichneumon wasp.=
..an amazingly large parasitic wasp with an ovipositor (&quot;tail&quot;) l=
onger than its body. It uses its ovipositor to probe inside the ears of peo=
ple to lay eggs, then...whoops, wrong story. It uses its long ovipositor to=
 probe inside trees, looking for horntail larvae...they lay their eggs insi=
de these larvae and develop from there. Here&#39;s a picture from BugGuide.=
net:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://bugguide.net/node/view/295654">http://bugguide.=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________<br>RF L=

--001a113987583d93f4051a730427--