[NatureNS] Knapweed

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 21:19:49 -0300

Dear All,                            July 11, 2015
    I just took a look at a Knapweed floret. Based on a thumbnail dissection
& a 6X hand lens Bees must work for every grain if they get pollen from this
plant. Or perhaps by the time the stigma is exposed it has already shed.
There appear to be 5 free filaments but the anthers are fused to form a tube
around the style.
    Bees working this yesterday were loaded with pollen so I am guessing
that pollen is shed just as or just before the anthers emerge from the
corolla tube and before the stigma is exposed beyond the anther tube.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville