[NatureNS] Maple ID

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:17:59 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    yard. Red Maple is the predominant native maple o
On 7/16/2015 6:06 AM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

>   Norway Maple, if open grown, will yield a good sap for syrup or
> sugar (based on one tree which I tapped in 1991). And even in a hedge
> they grow rapidly. I have yet to see NM larger than a few cm diameter in
> woodland but if free from competition so it can develop a good crown I
> think it has potential as a firewood tree because it grows rapidly in girth.

* whole woodlots in Toronto and elsewhere are composed of this invasive
species. A totally unnecessary addition to the flora of a land where
Sugar, Red, or Freeman Maples are native.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/