[NatureNS] Bank Swallows

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 13:22:09 -0200

--_2dc9005c-dc57-4cbb-a5b5-4c2c6e0fd21f_

In Manitoba for a few weeks......my daughter & i decided to check out Oak H=
ammock Marsh yesterday but encountered a problem on the access road. The ro=
ad was literally covered with young Bank Swallows which were eating somethi=
ng=2C presumably a hatch of flies (but what in the middle of the summer??).=
 It took us considerable time to reach the Marsh (actually a short distance=
) since the swallows had no fear of the vehicle so we had to proceed very s=
lowly. In all ~ 1000 Banks=3B I noted only one each (adult) Tree Swallow & =
Barn Swallow in the mix.=20
I wondered where such numbers would have nested since Oak Hammock is surrou=
nded by crop fields. In any case it was gratifying to see that the species =
is doing well at least in Manitoba.
Our time at Oak Hammock was cut short by storms moving across S. Manitoba=
=2C heavy rain & funnels some of which touched down & then lifted. We did s=
ee one of those.
Angus
 		 	   		  =

--_2dc9005c-dc57-4cbb-a5b5-4c2c6e0fd21f_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
.my daughter &amp=3B i decided to check out Oak Hammock Marsh yesterday but=
 encountered a problem on the access road. The road was literally covered w=
ith young Bank Swallows which were eating something=2C presumably a hatch o=
f flies (but what in the middle of the summer??). It took us considerable t=
ime to reach the Marsh (actually a short distance) since the swallows had n=
o fear of the vehicle so we had to proceed very slowly. In all ~ 1000 Banks=
=3B I noted only one each (adult) Tree Swallow &amp=3B Barn Swallow in the =
mix. <br>I wondered where such numbers would have nested since Oak Hammock =
is surrounded by crop fields. In any case it was gratifying to see that the=
 species is doing well at least in Manitoba.<br>Our time at Oak Hammock was=
 cut short by storms moving across S. Manitoba=2C heavy rain &amp=3B funnel=
s some of which touched down &amp=3B then lifted. We did see one of those.<=

--_2dc9005c-dc57-4cbb-a5b5-4c2c6e0fd21f_--