[NatureNS] Bank Swallows - Brier Island

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 13:08:16 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1133bd4e259bc4051b3ca24b

In a similar vein, a large flock of* Bank Swallows* was observed on Brier
Island a couple of weeks ago by a colleague. I wasn't aware of a Bank
Swallow colony near there and wondered if anyone knew of a colony or
breeding habitat near there? For June and July, eBird shows a high of 10
birds July 16th, 2010. I wondered if those observed this month might be
nonbreeding or postbreeding birds flocking/moving already.

James

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--001a1133bd4e259bc4051b3ca24b

as observed on Brier Island a couple of weeks ago by a colleague. I wasn&#3=
9;t aware of a Bank Swallow colony near there and wondered if anyone knew o=
f a colony or breeding habitat near there? For June and July, eBird shows a=
 high of 10 birds July 16th, 2010. I wondered if those observed this month =
might be nonbreeding or postbreeding birds flocking/moving already.<div><br=
uote">On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Angus MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:cold_mac@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">cold_mac@hotmail=
rgin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

decided to check out Oak Hammock Marsh yesterday but encountered a problem =
on the access road. The road was literally covered with young Bank Swallows=
 which were eating something, presumably a hatch of flies (but what in the =
middle of the summer??). It took us considerable time to reach the Marsh (a=
ctually a short distance) since the swallows had no fear of the vehicle so =
we had to proceed very slowly. In all ~ 1000 Banks; I noted only one each (=
adult) Tree Swallow &amp; Barn Swallow in the mix. <br>I wondered where suc=
h numbers would have nested since Oak Hammock is surrounded by crop fields.=
 In any case it was gratifying to see that the species is doing well at lea=
st in Manitoba.<br>Our time at Oak Hammock was cut short by storms moving a=
cross S. Manitoba, heavy rain &amp; funnels some of which touched down &amp=
; then lifted. We did see one of those.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=
=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">James Churchill<br>Kentville, Nova Sc=
otia<br><a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jame=

--001a1133bd4e259bc4051b3ca24b--