[NatureNS] Swallows and Wharfs (also Otter and sun fish)

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:26:17 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_a3000.2a52e229.42ecc368_boundary

We have lots if swallows at the wharf in Hubbards Cove but at least two of
them chose to build under the ramps which go up and down with the tide and
which  are busy so every time someone uses the ramp the swallows leave, a
difficult job  for the mothers.
On the wharves we have a bit of an issue. There has been a large Otter in
the cove, which is quite common but this one is an upmarket Otter because it
 likes Lobsters which are plentiful in the cove. It catches them and brings
them  to the wharves where it tears them to pieces making a real mess,
sometimes on  mooring lines, upsetting the boat owners.
Out in the Bay it is a good year for Sunfish, sailors have reported seeing
three or four while entering the bay.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

In a message dated 2015-07-31 9:16:09 A.M. Atlantic Daylight Time,