[NatureNS] Swallows and Wharfs

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 16:27:50 -0300
From: George Forsyth <g4syth@gnspes.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a113478ec24a5c4051c814860

Hi,

My wife and I also ate there at the end of June. There were a large number
of swallows coursing the fields around the Haze restaurant. At that time
they were mostly barn swallows and I also thought of how I remember fields
and swallows when I was young!

The history of Scots Bay wharfs has been studied, see:
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~mdeal/MillSurvey/millsurvey.htm

Amongst the photos there is one of the wharf that now is mostly
disappeared. It must have been quite a feat to build. In the photo there
are oxen rather than horses.

Cheers, George Forsyth

=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~mdeal/MillSurvey/millsurvey.htm">h=
gst the photos there is one of the wharf that now is mostly disappeared. It=
 must have been quite a feat to build. In the photo there are oxen rather t=
l_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 31 July 2015 at 09:12, <a href=
=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blan=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-=
left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
=20
   Hi All
   Yesterday we went to Scots Bay for lunch.
   And a good lunch it was!
   As we sat out the number of Swallows was impressive.=20
   I couldn&#39;t be sure of the species exactly but it was like
   when I was young to see them feeding over the fields. Some
   I presume parents were feeding others - young? on the fly.
   We don&#39;t see many on the Atlantic shore - but we don&#39;t miss the =
mosquitos!
   After lunch we went down and the old wharf was just coming out of the wa=
ter.
   An impressive structure - I don&#39;t know how old but likely built by h=