[NatureNS] Northern Gannets Near Shore

From: Pat McKay <pat.mckay@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 20:24:45 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt;http://www.flickr.com/photos/130170873@N08/&lt;/
--001a113d31bc89efe1051d258899

I saw three gannets in Halifax harbour yesterday, while crossing on the
ferry to Alderney Gate.

Pat McKay

On 12 August 2015 at 17:44, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Probably small mackerel or squid Keith. Both are plentiful this year.
> Or maybe herring or silversides. Who knows?
> but they do come in where the water is shallow - at East Point on PEI
> it is quite a specular display.
> Probably easier to catch dinner in shallow water!
> Enjoy the summer
> Paul
>
> On August 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM Keith Lowe <mythos25@live.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know if it was out of the ordinary or not but last Sunday I was
> seeing gannets fairly close at Cherry Hill Beach, Broadcove. At one point=
> observed 8 of them in a bit of a feeding frenzy in a 100 meter area not f=
ar
> offshore. Two adults and 6 immature in that frenzy.
>
> I should have tried to determine what if anything they were getting but I
> didn't. If they were getting something, the prey must have been fairly
> small or I would have noticed it.
>
> Last fall hundreds of gannet seem to be doing okay fishing fairly close
> off Hartlen Point, Duncan's Cove, Sandy Cove Rd because they were activel=
> continuing that behavior for a couple of months but so far this year I've
> only seen a few at a time around HRM
>
> Sent from my Windows Phone
> ------------------------------

on-shore-in-new-brunswick-1.3174528

> I can assume that the near shore sightings of gannets must be food
> related. Is there more food near shore than usual, or is there less
> food offshore? I was scoping around where I was seeing the gannets and
> didn't see any other species that are typically farther offshore.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> *---*
>
> *Alix Arthur d'Entremont*
> *BSc Geomatics Engineering*
>
> 292 Abbott's Harbour Road
> Middle West Pubnico
> Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia
> Canada B0W 2M0
>
> Phone: +1 902 762 2082
> Mobile: +1 902 307 0373
> e-mail: alixdentremont@hotmail.com
> Bird Photography http://www.flickr.com/photos/alixd/
> Bird Documentation Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/130170873@N08/
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/130170873%40N08/>
> Blog http://alixdentremont.blogspot.ca/

--001a113d31bc89efe1051d258899

 at 17:44, <a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympat=
ico.ca</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.c=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
 =20

=20
=20
   Probably small mackerel or squid Keith. Both are plentiful this year.
   Or maybe herring or silversides. Who knows?
   but they do come in where the water is shallow - at East Point on PEI
   it is quite a specular display.
   Probably easier to catch dinner in shallow water!
   Enjoy the summer
   Paul
blue;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid" type=3D"cite">
   On August 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM Keith Lowe &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mythos25@=