[NatureNS] Bumble Bees

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 17:45:23 -0200

--_e47b4589-225d-4eff-8931-c0b785e6bb4c_

Thanks=2C Steve.
Angus

> From: srshaw@Dal.Ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Bumble Bees
> Date: Sat=2C 15 Aug 2015 03:09:29 +0000
>=20
> Hi Angus=2C
> On the drumlin at Mt Uniacke Estate this afternoon about half of the stan=
ds of goldenrod are now in full flower and the small tri-coloured bumble be=
e B. ternarius were extremely common=2C now ignoring knapweed.  Small brown=
 meadowhawk dragonflies were also quite common.  A week ago behind Crystal =
Crescent beach near Sambro=2C ternarius was also very common on knapweed=2C=
 no goldenrod flowering then=3B saw 5 hummingbird hawks H. thysbe visiting =
knapweed back then.=20
> A few large tachinids and solitary wasps as well on goldenrod at Mt U tod=
ay=2C two conopids=2C two Villa beeflies but very few other flies -- no lar=
ge hoverflies at all.  Very slim pickings.  There were dozens of Virginia C=
tenuca moths at the same location/time last year=2C but saw only one this t=
ime=2C and only one brown butterfly.  The one isolated patch of goldenrod t=
hat had 7 fly galls last year has only one gall this year=2C so predictably=
 none next year.   General impression is that numbers of most insects are q=
uite depressed this year=2C though not ternarius.
half of Angus MacLean [cold_mac@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Thursday=2C August 13=2C 2015 11:36 AM
> To: naturens
> Subject: [NatureNS] Bumble Bees
>=20
> Two of the NS bumble bees=2C Bombus impatiens & B. vagans=2C are first fo=
und around mid-May (Queens can be earlier) & are common & regular through t=
he summer. Bombus ternarius (Tri-colored Bumble Bee) started to show up in =
some numbers about two weeks ago & are now quite common especially in open =
areas near woods. They will become the dominant bumble bee in most parts of=
 NS through the summer into the late fall.
>=20
> There are five other bumble bee species listed for NS & four cuckoo bumbl=
e species. All can be considered rare to uncommon here & some are in modera=
te to steep decline across their ranges. So far this summer I have only not=
ed one of these (two sightings).
>=20
> We have a large stand of Oregano (garden escape) on our property. Althoug=
h almost finished now I have noted numerous impatiens & vagans on them but =
no ternarius.
>=20
> A few days ago I discovered a good stand of Knapweed still in blossom & v=
irtually all bumble bees on them were ternarius.
>=20
> There are very few flies this summer although a few tachinids have appear=
ed recently. These should be quite common by now. There are  always a few s=
pecies of hover flies (Eristalis) but this summer there are few aphids. Sin=
ce larvae of many hover fly species feed on aphids I wonder if their popula=
tions will be much lower next year.
>=20
> The above comments may not apply everywhere in NS. Different opinions are=
 welcomed.
>=20
> Angus
 		 	   		  =

--_e47b4589-225d-4eff-8931-c0b785e6bb4c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
gt=3B Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Bumble Bees<br>&gt=3B Date: Sat=2C 15 Aug 201=
at Mt Uniacke Estate this afternoon about half of the stands of goldenrod a=
re now in full flower and the small tri-coloured bumble bee B. ternarius we=
re extremely common=2C now ignoring knapweed.  Small brown meadowhawk drago=
nflies were also quite common.  A week ago behind Crystal Crescent beach ne=
ar Sambro=2C ternarius was also very common on knapweed=2C no goldenrod flo=
wering then=3B saw 5 hummingbird hawks H. thysbe visiting knapweed back the=
n. <br>&gt=3B A few large tachinids and solitary wasps as well on goldenrod=
 at Mt U today=2C two conopids=2C two Villa beeflies but very few other fli=
es -- no large hoverflies at all.  Very slim pickings.  There were dozens o=
f Virginia Ctenuca moths at the same location/time last year=2C but saw onl=
y one this time=2C and only one brown butterfly.  The one isolated patch of=
 goldenrod that had 7 fly galls last year has only one gall this year=2C so=
 predictably none next year.   General impression is that numbers of most i=
nsects are quite depressed this year=2C though not ternarius.<br>&gt=3B Ste=
ve (Hfx)  <br>&gt=3B ________________________________________<br>&gt=3B Fro=
m: naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca [naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca] on behalf =
of Angus MacLean [cold_mac@hotmail.com]<br>&gt=3B Sent: Thursday=2C August =
13=2C 2015 11:36 AM<br>&gt=3B To: naturens<br>&gt=3B Subject: [NatureNS] Bu=
mble Bees<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Two of the NS bumble bees=2C Bombus impatien=
s &amp=3B B. vagans=2C are first found around mid-May (Queens can be earlie=
r) &amp=3B are common &amp=3B regular through the summer. Bombus ternarius =
(Tri-colored Bumble Bee) started to show up in some numbers about two weeks=
 ago &amp=3B are now quite common especially in open areas near woods. They=
 will become the dominant bumble bee in most parts of NS through the summer=
 into the late fall.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B There are five other bumble bee s=
pecies listed for NS &amp=3B four cuckoo bumble species. All can be conside=
red rare to uncommon here &amp=3B some are in moderate to steep decline acr=
oss their ranges. So far this summer I have only noted one of these (two si=
ghtings).<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B We have a large stand of Oregano (garden esc=
ape) on our property. Although almost finished now I have noted numerous im=
patiens &amp=3B vagans on them but no ternarius.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B A few=
 days ago I discovered a good stand of Knapweed still in blossom &amp=3B vi=
rtually all bumble bees on them were ternarius.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B There =
are very few flies this summer although a few tachinids have appeared recen=
tly. These should be quite common by now. There are  always a few species o=
f hover flies (Eristalis) but this summer there are few aphids. Since larva=
e of many hover fly species feed on aphids I wonder if their populations wi=
ll be much lower next year.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B The above comments may not=
 apply everywhere in NS. Different opinions are welcomed.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=

--_e47b4589-225d-4eff-8931-c0b785e6bb4c_--