[NatureNS] Bumble Bees

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 03:09:29 +0000

Hi Angus,
On the drumlin at Mt Uniacke Estate this afternoon about half of the stands of goldenrod are now in full flower and the small tri-coloured bumble bee B. ternarius were extremely common, now ignoring knapweed.  Small brown meadowhawk dragonflies were also quite common.  A week ago behind Crystal Crescent beach near Sambro, ternarius was also very common on knapweed, no goldenrod flowering then; saw 5 hummingbird hawks H. thysbe visiting knapweed back then.
A few large tachinids and solitary wasps as well on goldenrod at Mt U today, two conopids, two Villa beeflies but very few other flies -- no large hoverflies at all.  Very slim pickings.  There were dozens of Virginia Ctenuca moths at the same location/time last year, but saw only one this time, and only one brown butterfly.  The one isolated patch of goldenrod that had 7 fly galls last year has only one gall this year, so predictably none next year.   General impression is that numbers of most insects are quite depressed this year, though not ternarius.
Steve (Hfx)