[NatureNS] Songs/Sounds Of Some Insects Being Heard @ This time Of Year

From: GayleMacLean <duartess@EastLink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 21:00:12 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_XwIclp58rMckRUSxqqIs9g)

 Hi All,

Here is a website that folks might find interesting. It was shared on the Halifax Field Naturalists of Nova Scotia Facebook site. It was shared after I sent in an inquiry from my sister-in-law about a long shrill buzzing sound coming from the woods near her place in Geatz Brook. This site lists sounds from Crickets, Grasshoppers, Katydids and Cicadas found here in North America.
She said after listening to the cicadas, that it most resembled the Dog Day Cicada.
Have learned that a number of folks are hearing similar songs/sounds too, at this time. Guess 'tis the season'!
Anyway, enjoy!

http://songsofinsects.com/thumbnail-guide-to-species

Sincerely,

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth

--Boundary_(ID_XwIclp58rMckRUSxqqIs9g)

<DIV>&nbsp;Hi All,</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Here is a website that folks might find interesting. It was shared on the Halifax Field Naturalists of Nova Scotia Facebook site. It was shared after I sent in an inquiry from my sister-in-law about a long shrill buzzing sound coming from the woods near her place in Geatz Brook. This site lists sounds from Crickets, Grasshoppers, Katydids and Cicadas found here in North America. </DIV><DIV>She said after listening to the cicadas, that it most resembled the Dog Day Cicada. </DIV><DIV>Have learned that a number of folks are hearing&nbsp;similar songs/sounds too, at this time. Guess 'tis the season'!</DIV><DIV>Anyway, enjoy!</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>http://songsofinsects.com/thumbnail-guide-to-species</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Sincerely,</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Gayle MacLean</DIV><DIV>Dartmouth</DIV>

--Boundary_(ID_XwIclp58rMckRUSxqqIs9g)--