[NatureNS] cockroach found

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 10:43:05 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113fd5e0f339a4051d81fc42

All,

Well, two nights ago, after dark, and with the dining room light on, the
dining room window was once again amok with insects. There was a green
lacewing, a largish caddisfly, a bunch of true flies and one critter which
reminded me of a cockroach, but was way too small (about a centimetre)...my
only experience with cockroaches was with the pest species, and a lab
species, all of which are many centimetres long.

I just put it under the scope here at work, and thought, "If that isn't a
cockroach, I don't know what is!" So I called DNR entomologist Jeff Ogden
who enlightened me to the fact that we do have small cockroaches here, and
that a paper has recently been written on the advance of one of them in the
Journal of the Acadian Entomological Society by Jeff C. Clements, Denis A.
Doucet and David B. McCorquodale.

See: http://acadianes.org/journal/papers/clements13-3.pdf

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001a113fd5e0f339a4051d81fc42

and with the dining room light on, the dining room window was once again am=
ok with insects. There was a green lacewing, a largish caddisfly, a bunch o=
f true flies and one critter which reminded me of a cockroach, but was way =
too small (about a centimetre)...my only experience with cockroaches was wi=
th the pest species, and a lab species, all of which are many centimetres l=
nd thought, &quot;If that isn&#39;t a cockroach, I don&#39;t know what is!&=
quot; So I called DNR entomologist Jeff Ogden who enlightened me to the fac=
t that we do have small cockroaches here, and that a paper has recently bee=
n written on the advance of one of them in the Journal of the Acadian Entom=
ological Society by=C2=A0Jeff C. Clements, Denis A. Doucet and David B. McC=
rg/journal/papers/clements13-3.pdf">http://acadianes.org/journal/papers/cle=

--001a113fd5e0f339a4051d81fc42--