[NatureNS] Northern Red Bellied Snake colours

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 19:00:24 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>:

> I have never had a problem separating red-bellies from ringnecks.
> Redbellies have the three yellow spots around the neck in various sorts of
> fusions, and have a series of longitudinal stripes dorsally. Ringnecks have
> a pale yellow ring around the neck and a solid bluish gray colour dorsally.
> Yup, then there's the scale contrast (keeled versus smooth).

* but Redbellies can be a great variety of colours, from black to
copper red, so for the ones that are charcoal grey, you need to see
the spots-rather-than-ring, keeled scales, and reddish-pink rather
than orange underbelly.

> Difficult snakes to confuse, if you've seen both.

* but if you've only seen one, and that briefly, confusion is possible.

fred.

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.