[NatureNS] Protecting land from 'development'

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:11:23 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--047d7b4504963b7a5d051e4ab412

David,

Another option may be Community Forests International, a Sackville, N.B.
based group which has several very interesting projects to their credit.
They seem to have diverse projects with conservation and diversity as a
central themes. Their Whaelghinbran Farm initiative might be of most
interest to you ?

Ron
On Aug 26, 2015 9:06 PM, "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
wrote:

> Dear All,                                Aug 26, 2015
>    The following paste is the substance of an e-mail which I sent recently
> to Nova Scotia Nature Trust---
>
> START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
> Hello:                                                    Aug 21, 2015
>   I have a woodlot in North Alton, of about 70 acres, which I would like to
> permanently protect from residential or commercial development of any kind.
> It is near enough to Kentville and Route12 that it will be developed if not
> protected and I will not always be here to say no thanks.
>
>    But I want any future owner to have rights for cutting of firewood and
> selective logging because that improves wildlife habitat as compared to a
> hands off policy, would help to keep the network of mostly pick-and-shovel
> roads open to public foot traffic and, unlike many current energy sources,
> is nearly carbon neutral.
>
>    END OF PASTE
>    In the closing paragraph I asked, in effect, if NSNT could offer advice
> as to how I could implement protection of this sort. [And I now see that
> the tax slip lists it as 63 acres.]
>
>    After two exchanges with NSNT it appears that the front-line staff are
> prompt to answer e-mails but don't bother to read the questions first so
> they appear to be a dead loss. [A June 1, 2014 (yes 1014) inquiry to a
> former NSNT manager of some sort drew no response.]
>
>    So reading between the lines I suspect they fail to comprehend that one
> can combine protection of woodland and watershed integrity with judicious
> extraction of wood fiber. And in addition they apparently don't realize
> that all woodland, but especially woodland on good soil, is worth
> protecting. The Sapsuckers, who feed extensively on the vigorous Wire Birch
> (always in my absence) would all vote for protection from development if
> they had a vote.
>
>    I gather, after some searching that I am after a Conservation Easement
> of some sort and I understand that Easements can be donated to an
> accomodating Conservation entity. For what it may be worth about 2/3 of the
> area is good Morristown Loam but shallow the remainder being undulating
> rocky swampland with sometimes good hardwood.
>
>    I am sending this to the group in the hope that someone may be able to
> offer guidance. For example, can an individual establish a Conservation
> entity which does not die with the individual ? Does Ducks Unlimited get
> involved with pond-free land ? There is potential for pond construction.
>
> Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville

--047d7b4504963b7a5d051e4ab412

kville, N.B. based group which has several very interesting projects to the=
ir credit.=C2=A0 They seem to have diverse projects with conservation and d=
iversity as a central themes. Their Whaelghinbran Farm initiative might be =
of most interest to you ?</p>
n Webster&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwebster@glinx.co=
m</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" =
style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Dea=
r All,=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Aug 26, 2015<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0The following paste is the substance of an e-mail which I sent=
 recently to Nova Scotia Nature Trust---<br>
START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\<br>
Hello:=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Aug 21, 2015<br>
=C2=A0 I have a woodlot in North Alton, of about 70 acres, which I would li=
ke to<br>
permanently protect from residential or commercial development of any kind.=
It is near enough to Kentville and Route12 that it will be developed if not=
protected and I will not always be here to say no thanks.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0But I want any future owner to have rights for cutting of fire=
wood and<br>
selective logging because that improves wildlife habitat as compared to a<b=
r>
hands off policy, would help to keep the network of mostly pick-and-shovel<=
br>
roads open to public foot traffic and, unlike many current energy sources,<=
br>
is nearly carbon neutral.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0END OF PASTE<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0In the closing paragraph I asked, in effect, if NSNT could off=
er advice as to how I could implement protection of this sort. [And I now s=
ee that the tax slip lists it as 63 acres.]<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0After two exchanges with NSNT it appears that the front-line s=
taff are prompt to answer e-mails but don&#39;t bother to read the question=
s first so they appear to be a dead loss. [A June 1, 2014 (yes 1014) inquir=
y to a former NSNT manager of some sort drew no response.]<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0So reading between the lines I suspect they fail to comprehend=
 that one can combine protection of woodland and watershed integrity with j=
udicious extraction of wood fiber. And in addition they apparently don&#39;=
t realize that all woodland, but especially woodland on good soil, is worth=
 protecting. The Sapsuckers, who feed extensively on the vigorous Wire Birc=
h (always in my absence) would all vote for protection from development if =
they had a vote.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0I gather, after some searching that I am after a Conservation =
Easement of some sort and I understand that Easements can be donated to an =
accomodating Conservation entity. For what it may be worth about 2/3 of the=
 area is good Morristown Loam but shallow the remainder being undulating ro=
cky swampland with sometimes good hardwood.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0I am sending this to the group in the hope that someone may be=