[NatureNS] Protecting land from 'development'

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 01:41:09 +0000

--_433e792c-e0fe-4109-b7ed-38ba8fa103a8_

What about the Nature Trust for Canada?  They have many articles in their n=
ewsletter about people across Canada who donate land for protection and the=
 good of the species that inhabit the land.  I've read all my newsletters a=
nd have recycled them=2C so I can't give you further info on them. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
LaHave  =20
=20
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Protecting land from 'development'
> From: bkwigney@gmail.com
> Date: Wed=2C 26 Aug 2015 23:46:40 -0300
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> Dave=2C and all=2C
>=20
> I don't know anything about land trusts in Nova Scotia=2C but back in eas=
tern Ontario (where I lived for many years)=2C there is quite an active lan=
d trust -- the Mississippi Madawaska Land Trust.  I just looked to see if i=
t has a website and actually=2C it is part of the Ontario Land Trust Allian=
ce (OLTA).  If you go to the OLTA webpage=2C you can see info about the Mis=
sissippi Madawaska Land Trust=2C but also listed down the side bar are othe=
r Ontario land trusts.  There are quite a few.
> http://olta.ca/land-trust-members/mississippi-madawaska-land-trust-conser=
vancy/
> I looked around on the OLTA site to see what I could find about land trus=
ts --- how they work=2C etc..  I think this link should take you to the 'Wh=
at is a Land Trust" page.  The "How Do I Start A Land Trust" button states =
that they have a=20
> Land Trust Starter Kit.  It might be worth contacting them to see if you =
can take a look at the kit or the web resource they mention. =20
> http://olta.ca/land-trust/
> Another thing I should mention about Ontario -- and I just don't know if =
Nova Scotia has an equivalent -- but in Ontario=2C there are conservation a=
uthorities that were established to oversee conservation of lands and water=
sheds.  The CAs often manage conservation trust lands -- properties that ha=
ve been placed in their care.  I know of a couple of properties that were p=
laced in the care of the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority in my own are=
a shortly before I left to come out to Nova Scotia.  The RVCA was pretty ef=
fective at managing properties held in their trust -- less so about some ot=
her things which I won't get into here. =20
> Anyhow=2C perhaps there are some equivalents to the above in Nova Scotia=
=2C but thus far=2C I haven't come across anything similar.  Maybe it would=
 be worth contacting OLTA to see if they are aware of anything going on in =
Nova Scotia  -- they may be part of a network of provincial trust alliances=
.  =20
>=20
> regards=2C
> Bev Wigney
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 2015-08-26=2C at 9:02 PM=2C David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com=
> wrote:
>=20
> > Dear All=2C                                Aug 26=2C 2015
> >   The following paste is the substance of an e-mail which I sent recent=
ly to Nova Scotia Nature Trust---
> >=20
> > START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
> > Hello:                                                    Aug 21=2C 201=
5
> >  I have a woodlot in North Alton=2C of about 70 acres=2C which I would =
like to
> > permanently protect from residential or commercial development of any k=
ind.
> > It is near enough to Kentville and Route12 that it will be developed if=
 not
> > protected and I will not always be here to say no thanks.
> >=20
> >   But I want any future owner to have rights for cutting of firewood an=
> > selective logging because that improves wildlife habitat as compared to=
> > hands off policy=2C would help to keep the network of mostly pick-and-s=
hovel
> > roads open to public foot traffic and=2C unlike many current energy sou=
rces=2C
> > is nearly carbon neutral.
> >=20
> >   END OF PASTE
> >   In the closing paragraph I asked=2C in effect=2C if NSNT could offer =
advice as to how I could implement protection of this sort. [And I now see =
that the tax slip lists it as 63 acres.]
> >=20
> >   After two exchanges with NSNT it appears that the front-line staff ar=
e prompt to answer e-mails but don't bother to read the questions first so =
they appear to be a dead loss. [A June 1=2C 2014 (yes 1014) inquiry to a fo=
rmer NSNT manager of some sort drew no response.]
> >=20
> >   So reading between the lines I suspect they fail to comprehend that o=
ne can combine protection of woodland and watershed integrity with judiciou=
s extraction of wood fiber. And in addition they apparently don't realize t=
hat all woodland=2C but especially woodland on good soil=2C is worth protec=
ting. The Sapsuckers=2C who feed extensively on the vigorous Wire Birch (al=
ways in my absence) would all vote for protection from development if they =
had a vote.
> >=20
> >   I gather=2C after some searching that I am after a Conservation Easem=
ent of some sort and I understand that Easements can be donated to an accom=
odating Conservation entity. For what it may be worth about 2/3 of the area=
 is good Morristown Loam but shallow the remainder being undulating rocky s=
wampland with sometimes good hardwood.
> >=20
> >   I am sending this to the group in the hope that someone may be able t=
o offer guidance. For example=2C can an individual establish a Conservation=
 entity which does not die with the individual ? Does Ducks Unlimited get i=
nvolved with pond-free land ? There is potential for pond construction.
> >=20
> > Yours truly=2C Dave Webster=2C Kentville
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
 		 	   		  =

--_433e792c-e0fe-4109-b7ed-38ba8fa103a8_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
6">What about the Nature Trust for Canada?&nbsp=3B They have many articles =
in their newsletter about people across Canada who donate land for protecti=
on and the good of the species that inhabit the land.&nbsp=3B I've read all=
 my newsletters and have recycled them=2C so I can't give you further info =
on them.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font color=3D"#000000" size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=
=3B<BR><font color=3D"#000000" size=3D"6">James R. Hirtle</font><BR><font c=
olor=3D"#000000" size=3D"6">LaHave&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<br id=3D"FontBre=
ak"></font><br>&nbsp=3B<BR><div>&gt=3B Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Protecting l=
and from 'development'<br>&gt=3B From: bkwigney@gmail.com<br>&gt=3B Date: W=
ed=2C 26 Aug 2015 23:46:40 -0300<br>&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<br>&=
ing about land trusts in Nova Scotia=2C but back in eastern Ontario (where =
I lived for many years)=2C there is quite an active land trust -- the Missi=
ssippi Madawaska Land Trust.  I just looked to see if it has a website and =
actually=2C it is part of the Ontario Land Trust Alliance (OLTA).  If you g=
o to the OLTA webpage=2C you can see info about the Mississippi Madawaska L=
and Trust=2C but also listed down the side bar are other Ontario land trust=
s.  There are quite a few.<br>&gt=3B http://olta.ca/land-trust-members/miss=
issippi-madawaska-land-trust-conservancy/<br>&gt=3B I looked around on the =
OLTA site to see what I could find about land trusts --- how they work=2C e=
tc..  I think this link should take you to the 'What is a Land Trust" page.=
  The "How Do I Start A Land Trust" button states that they have a <br>&gt=
=3B Land Trust Starter Kit.  It might be worth contacting them to see if yo=
u can take a look at the kit or the web resource they mention.  <br>&gt=3B =
http://olta.ca/land-trust/<br>&gt=3B Another thing I should mention about O=
ntario -- and I just don't know if Nova Scotia has an equivalent -- but in =
Ontario=2C there are conservation authorities that were established to over=
see conservation of lands and watersheds.  The CAs often manage conservatio=
n trust lands -- properties that have been placed in their care.  I know of=
 a couple of properties that were placed in the care of the Rideau Valley C=
onservation Authority in my own area shortly before I left to come out to N=
ova Scotia.  The RVCA was pretty effective at managing properties held in t=
heir trust -- less so about some other things which I won't get into here. =
va Scotia=2C but thus far=2C I haven't come across anything similar.  Maybe=
 it would be worth contacting OLTA to see if they are aware of anything goi=
ng on in Nova Scotia  -- they may be part of a network of provincial trust =
amp=3B Alison Webster &lt=3Bdwebster@glinx.com&gt=3B wrote:<br>&gt=3B <br>&=
gt=3B &gt=3B Dear All=2C                                Aug 26=2C 2015<br>&=
gt=3B &gt=3B   The following paste is the substance of an e-mail which I se=
nt recently to Nova Scotia Nature Trust---<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &gt=
=3B START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Hello:                  =
                                  Aug 21=2C 2015<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B  I have a=
 woodlot in North Alton=2C of about 70 acres=2C which I would like to<br>&g=
t=3B &gt=3B permanently protect from residential or commercial development =
of any kind.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B It is near enough to Kentville and Route12 th=
at it will be developed if not<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B protected and I will not al=
ways be here to say no thanks.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &gt=3B   But I w=
ant any future owner to have rights for cutting of firewood and<br>&gt=3B &=
gt=3B selective logging because that improves wildlife habitat as compared =
to a<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B hands off policy=2C would help to keep the network of=
 mostly pick-and-shovel<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B roads open to public foot traffic =
and=2C unlike many current energy sources=2C<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B is nearly car=
t=3B   In the closing paragraph I asked=2C in effect=2C if NSNT could offer=
 advice as to how I could implement protection of this sort. [And I now see=
 that the tax slip lists it as 63 acres.]<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &gt=
=3B   After two exchanges with NSNT it appears that the front-line staff ar=
e prompt to answer e-mails but don't bother to read the questions first so =
they appear to be a dead loss. [A June 1=2C 2014 (yes 1014) inquiry to a fo=
rmer NSNT manager of some sort drew no response.]<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=
=3B &gt=3B   So reading between the lines I suspect they fail to comprehend=
 that one can combine protection of woodland and watershed integrity with j=
udicious extraction of wood fiber. And in addition they apparently don't re=
alize that all woodland=2C but especially woodland on good soil=2C is worth=
 protecting. The Sapsuckers=2C who feed extensively on the vigorous Wire Bi=
rch (always in my absence) would all vote for protection from development i=
f they had a vote.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &gt=3B   I gather=2C after s=
ome searching that I am after a Conservation Easement of some sort and I un=
derstand that Easements can be donated to an accomodating Conservation enti=
ty. For what it may be worth about 2/3 of the area is good Morristown Loam =
but shallow the remainder being undulating rocky swampland with sometimes g=
ood hardwood.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &gt=3B   I am sending this to the=
 group in the hope that someone may be able to offer guidance. For example=
=2C can an individual establish a Conservation entity which does not die wi=
th the individual ? Does Ducks Unlimited get involved with pond-free land ?=
 There is potential for pond construction.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &gt=
=3B Yours truly=2C Dave Webster=2C Kentville<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B <br>&gt=3B &g=
/div></body>

--_433e792c-e0fe-4109-b7ed-38ba8fa103a8_--