[NatureNS] CIBC Butterfly Encounter @ Hants Co. Ex.

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:15:23 -0300
From: David Simpson <david.sonsimp@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--089e014941540bed01051f66e8fc

I called and spoke with the manager of the Hants County Exhibition.
Apparently the arrangements were made through "Capital International", a
company based in Ohio. If I understood correctly, the manager said he first
learned of the show when he saw it in Las Vegas. He seemed more concerned
with whether or not I worked for the gouvernment than hearing about the
legitimate ecological concerns, but gave me the following contact info if
anyone with a long-distance plan wants to follow up. I think only the
booking was made through this guy, so I'd be surprised if he knew much
about the exhibit itself.

Randy Miller (Manager)
(330) 227 2000
Capital International (Ohio)

Regrettably I forgot to ask for the name of the man in Windsor I spoke to,
but he can be reached by calling (902)-798-0000.

I called the CIBC branch in Windsor, no answer.

Just found this link: http://www.thebutterflyencounter.com/index.html
It's them, I'm sure. Tried calling, no answer.

Happy sleuthing,

*Dave in Dartmouth*

David Simpson
(902) 580 8007
david.sonsimp@gmail.com

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> [...]
>
> "The CIBC Butterfly Encounter has hundreds of butterflies including 6
> different species. The educational exhibit shows the life cycle of a
> butterfly from the egg to the adult butterfly, and how to fix a broken wing
> class. Feeding sticks are provided so you can feed and interact with the
> butterflies. Butterfly kits are also available so you can take home your
> very own butterfly. The CIBC Butterfly Encounter is located in the
> industrial building and open from 10 am until closing both weekends."
>
> I'd like answers to the following questons: 1) what "6 different species"
> are being exhibited?, 2) what is the origin of those butterflies?, 3) what
> precautions are being taken to prevent escapes?, 4) why is it considered
> important to know "how to fix a broken wing?", 5) what specie(s) is/are
> being used for the "butterfly kits?", and 6) who are, and what are the
> credentials of, the people in charge of this exhibit? Finally, are there
> any rules/regulations/permits required for such an exhibit and have they
> been obtained?
>
> While I admire the purpose of the educational component of the exhibit, my
> concerns, given that we are in the final year of a butterfly atlas project,
> are that "foreign" butterflies are not just potentially escaping from the
> exhibit but are being actively released. Records of butterflies from the
> area around Windsor may be suspect from the first weekend of the Exhibition
> until the end of the season. However, they specifically state that kids
> "can take home (their) very own butterfly" so this may mean that any
> butterfly of those 6 species seen from the Exhibition until the end of the
> season, anywhere in the province, maybe even NB or PEI, could be an
> erroneous record.
>
> This "take home your very own butterfly" also raises a large red flag to
> me: the suggestion that you can "own" a butterfly! Perhaps this is why it's
> considered important to know how to "fix a broken wing?" Finally, an
> ongoing concern is that even if all 6 species are "native" or known from
> Nova Scotia, or even if only a single species is included in the "butterfly
> kits", if the butterflies are not from local stock then they are
> potentially introducing novel genes into local populations. If the
> butterflies are from captive stocks that are infected by a parasite (e.g.
> Ophryocystis elektroscirrha is an obligate, protozoan parasite that infects
> monarchs) then those parasites will also be potentially introduced to NS.
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...
>
> Phil
>
> --
>
> Phil Schappert, PhD
>
> 27 Clovis Ave.
> Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
>
> philschappert.ca
> imaginaturestudio.ca
> imaginaturestudio.blogspot.ca
> philschappert.com
>
> "Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."

ty Exhibition. Apparently the arrangements were made through &quot;Capital =
International&quot;, a company based in Ohio.=C2=A0If I understood correctl=
y, the=C2=A0manager said he first learned of the show when he saw it in Las=
 Vegas. He seemed more concerned with whether or not I worked for the gouve=
rnment than hearing about the legitimate ecological concerns, but gave me t=
he following contact info if anyone with a long-distance plan=C2=A0wants to=
 follow up. I think only the booking was made through this guy, so I&#39;d =
for the name of the man in Windsor I spoke to, but he can be reached by cal=
=3D"http://www.thebutterflyencounter.com/index.html">http://www.thebutterfl=
ss=3D"gmail_extra">Happy sleuthing,</div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br cle=
v style=3D"font-size:small"><i style=3D"color:rgb(255,0,0);font-size:large"=
ont color=3D"#000000" size=3D"2"><a href=3D"mailto:david.sonsimp@gmail.com"=
 targ