[NatureNS] Bird App question.

From: naturens <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 04:49:07 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I have them both on my iPhone plus the Peterson's Guide.

I find Sibley's very good for the finer points of identification, both sounds and field marks and you can set up a comparison to split the screen and assess more than one bird at a time. The text of Sibley's usually gives relevant comments on similar looking or sounding birds and the points that distinguish them.

iBird Pro has an ID section that is too detailed for field ID. Its similar species  for both sound and looks brings up only a long list of birds- often too many. And it does not point out the specific features that would separate two confusing birds. You are just supposed to tap and go to that species' page. All in all this app is more of a grab bag of information, gleaned from multiple sources but does not seem to be put together in a very useful way for identification in my opinion.

I like the Peterson's app b/c it looks just like the paper guide many of us are used to flipping through and gives the same quick comparison with arrows of like birds on the same page. It is not so good on sounds.

All in all I would get the Sibley's and Peterson's apps- the former for its great visual and aural ID features and the latter for quick, familiar locating of birds and their relevant fieldmarks.

Nancy