[NatureNS] Singing Red Crossbill and Katydids

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 17:14:22 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A male Red Crossbill was singing from the top of a spruce tree in Crossburn, nr E Dalhousie, Kings Co midday today. I could see it singing. Its warbled finch-like song did not closely match those available on the Sibley's, Peterson's nor iBird apps. But I see the text says their songs are all over the place.

Lots of drab brownish-green katydids flying on the same dirt road today, often running into me. Even when I got back to my camp (~7km away as the crow flies) one was stuck in the new paint on the stairs and another on the window (those two were females).

Nancy