[NatureNS] Assassin Beetles + other notes

From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 00:01:36 +0000

What we have been getting a number of specimens submitted over the last several years, both in mid winter (indoors) and now (on buildings) They have all been Eastern Conifer seed Bugs  (Leptoglossus occidentalis.)  They look a bit like the Reduviid Triatoma.  But check the hind legs. These have an expanded tibial segment.. giving them their other common name  Leaf footed bug.

I suspect the indoor sightings are ones brought in with Christmas trees and wreaths.

The appeared here between 10-15 years back.  Will have to check the specific records

Check the images on   http://bugguide.net/node/view/3393/bgimage

Andrew

A Hebda
NSM Collections (Zoology)_