[NatureNS] Assassin Beetles + other notes

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:26:02 -0300
From: Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e015383e82e39fc05222dd7c5

Thanks for this Andrew - they are indeed as you described the Eastern
Conifer Seed Bugs. Same colouration ,pattern, and expanded tibial segment (
a new term form me). I'm looking forward to reading about these interesting
bugs now that I have the correct name.

Ron

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Hebda, Andrew J <Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca
> wrote:

> What we have been getting a number of specimens submitted over the last
> several years, both in mid winter (indoors) and now (on buildings) They
> have all been Eastern Conifer seed Bugs  (Leptoglossus occidentalis.)  They
> look a bit like the Reduviid Triatoma.  But check the hind legs. These have
> an expanded tibial segment.. giving them their other common name  Leaf
> footed bug.
>
> I suspect the indoor sightings are ones brought in with Christmas trees
> and wreaths.
>
> The appeared here between 10-15 years back.  Will have to check the
> specific records
>
> Check the images on   http://bugguide.net/node/view/3393/bgimage
>
> Andrew
>
> A Hebda
> NSM Collections (Zoology)_
>
> _______________________________________

the Eastern Conifer Seed Bugs. Same colouration ,pattern, and<span style=3D=
"font-size:12.8px">=C2=A0expanded tibial segment ( a new term form me). I&#=
39;m looking forward to reading about these interesting bugs now that I hav=
 15, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Hebda, Andrew J <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca" target=3D"_blank">Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
What we have been getting a number of specimens submitted over the last sev=
eral years, both in mid winter (indoors) and now (on buildings) They have a=
ll been Eastern Conifer seed Bugs=C2=A0 (Leptoglossus occidentalis.)=C2=A0 =
They look a bit like the Reduviid Triatoma.=C2=A0 But check the hind legs. =
These have an expanded tibial segment.. giving them their other common name=
=C2=A0 Leaf footed bug.<br>
I suspect the indoor sightings are ones brought in with Christmas trees and=
 wreaths.<br>
The appeared here between 10-15 years back.=C2=A0 Will have to check the sp=
ecific records<br>
Check the images on=C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"http://bugguide.net/node/view/33=
93/bgimage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://bugguide.net/node/v=
iew/3393/bgimage</a><br>