[NatureNS] Killdeer and begging Blue Jay

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:10:44 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I saw a Killdeer this afternoon in nearby Lakeview, Kings Co. It was flying low over a field in a broad circle while calling. Also a flying dark hawk (viewed from the side without binoculars) which I cannot place. No obvious light areas were visible to me.

At my feeders today a likely juvenile Blue Jay not only flaps its wings and begs from other Blue Jays but it gets so carried away it crosses over to the suet and tries the same thing with the feeding Woodpeckers. This usually ends up scaring the Downy WPs away. But the Hairy WPs do not put up with the begging Blue Jay and lunge to get rid of it.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.