[NatureNS] Unidentified lone goose Annapolis Causeway, 11 Nov

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:41:20 -0400

--------------070308030403050202020601

I would say a first winter Common Eider

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 11/11/2015 10:21 PM, George Forsyth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Harold Forsyth and I did some birding in Annapolis Co today and saw
> this lone goose swimming on the freshwater (east) side of the causeway.
>
> http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist?subID=S25795013
>
> It seemed healthy, was swimming in very swift water, and seemed alert
> while we watched. The bill didn't seem to have obvious bright colour,
> the breast was very light, the head, neck and back all seemed to be
> the same colour, we were unable to see the legs or belly.
>
> I would assume that a domestic goose would shy away from the swift
> water, as many are more used to waddling around a yard, and are very
> rotund below. But one that has become feral may have developed better
> endurance on water.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> George (and Harold) Forsyth

--------------070308030403050202020601

  <head>
  </head>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CALhw8fv-awrHmf3sypvhtZqcutKBkaSw6mvwhJpPuyet3ygKdQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
              Harold Forsyth and I did some birding in Annapolis Co
              today and saw this lone goose swimming on the freshwater
              (east) side of the causeway. <br>
                  <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                    href="http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist?subID=S25795013">http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist?subID=S25795013</a><br>
                swift water, and seemed alert while we watched. The bill
                didn't seem to have obvious bright colour, the breast
                was very light, the head, neck and back all seemed to be
                the same colour, we were unable to see the legs or
                belly.<br>
                would shy away from the swift water, as many are more
                used to waddling around a yard, and are very rotund
                below. But one that has become feral may have developed
                better endurance on water.<br>

--------------070308030403050202020601--