[NatureNS] Little Ice Age; right.

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 16:53:47 +0000

Dave:  Good reminder -- there's a bit of info at the end of the Wikipedia article on 'methane clathrates' (hydrates) that is worth a look.  Two researchers in Sept 2013 in a 'Nature' offshoot reinforced Hansen's earlier warning, saying that the most likely cause of further strengthening of global warming is large scale future thawing of the Arctic permafrost.  The total amount in the sea is large but estimates range widely, while estimates of land-based methane hydrates are also large, of comparable value to the lower estimates of the marine deposits.
Presumably these land deposits are mostly too thinly distributed to be extracted commercially before they eventually will escape during permafrost thawing, so no hope there.  The article mentions an earlier land-based successful drilling exercise to release gas, but that was into a concentrated deposit in deeper rock in the MacKenzie River delta, not from superficial permafrost.  Recent info cited indicates that widespread release of marine derived methane is occurring around certain continental margins.
As you say, Earth may be on the way to being severely disrupted in the not too distant future.
Steve