[NatureNS] Baltimore oriole

From: "D W Bridgehouse" <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 20:25:28 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01D123D1.98B5BFC0

The last 2 days we have had a new backyard bird in  a male Baltimore =
Oriole around our backyard feeding on the neighbors grapes . This bird =
would be considered a =E2=80=9Clifer=E2=80=9D for me as a rank amateur =
watcher of feeder birds that throng to our sunflower seed birdfeeder.=20

Up until yesterday I had never seen this bird before and actually had to =
look it up . But the  black head , burnt orange ( almost gold orange ) =
body  and what caught my eye were the white wing bars . Close to size of =
a robin.=20

Quite a handsome bird !

But it has been hanging around getting its fill of the grapes .

My question to those of you more knowledgeable than I =E2=80=93 can this =
bird be enticed to hang around if more food is provided , ie more grapes =
, apple etc  or do they usually not survive the winter around here ( =
unless we have a mild winter )  do they feed on same food as robins or =
will they take seed ? ?

I know these are not =E2=80=9Crare =E2=80=9C but they seem to be not all =
that common . Is that the premise with Baltimore Orioles=20

Thanks for any help from those with any experience who have fed  =
B.orioles in the past or present=20

Derek B
Dartmouth, NS

Night hath a thousand eyes.
Lyly,c.1589, Maydes Metamorphose
------=_NextPart_000_003E_01D123D1.98B5BFC0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV>The last 2 days we have had a new backyard bird in&nbsp; a male =
Baltimore=20
Oriole around our backyard feeding on the neighbors grapes . This bird =
would be=20
considered a =E2=80=9Clifer=E2=80=9D for me as a rank amateur watcher of =
feeder birds that=20
throng to our sunflower seed birdfeeder. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Up until yesterday I had never seen this bird before and actually =
had to=20
look it up . But the&nbsp; black head , burnt orange ( almost gold =
orange )=20
body&nbsp; and what caught my eye were the white wing bars . Close to =
size of a=20
robin. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Quite a handsome bird !</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But it has been hanging around getting its fill of the grapes =
.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My question to those of you more knowledgeable than I =E2=80=93 can =
this bird be=20
enticed to hang around if more food is provided , ie more grapes , apple =

etc&nbsp; or do they usually not survive the winter around here ( unless =
we have=20
a mild winter )&nbsp; do they feed on same food as robins or will they =
take seed=20
? ?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know these are not =E2=80=9Crare =E2=80=9C but they seem to be =
not all that common . Is=20
that the premise with Baltimore Orioles </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for any help from those with any experience who have =
fed&nbsp;=20
B.orioles in the past or present </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; COLOR: =
#000000">Derek=20
B<BR>Dartmouth, NS<BR><BR><BR>Night hath a thousand =
eyes.<BR>Lyly,c.1589, Maydes=20
Metamorphose</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01D123D1.98B5BFC0--