Insects in 70 percent global decline Re: [NatureNS] sparrows

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=24.224.154.227; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 21:17:17 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D123D8.D5E72B20

Hi Mary & All,                        Nov 20, 2015
    I take exception to your "Unless you eat solely organic your compost =
and sewage is full of pesticides." because it hugely incorrect. Traces =
of pesticides perhaps. Enough to affect insects; no.=20
    In general however many insects are less abundant than they were in =
times past. It has been death by a thousand cuts,of which I will mention =
a few. Also a consequence sometimes of silo thinking; solving problems =
in isolation to reach solutions which just don't fit the real world.
    I have a compost pile that goes back to 1967. For some 25 years it =
was turned at regular intervals and the friable component sometimes =
spread on the garden or lawn. From the onset it has been alive with =
insects and still is. And most of our food waste (rarely organic) has =
been composted there or in several temporary windrows/piles which have =
become more or less permanent, because I keep adding yard waste, but =
with various fleshy fungi, slime molds and invertebrates they, if ground =
up to a powder would be very poor insecticide. =20
    And even composting advice may be detrimental. In more than one =
source I have seen the admonition "don't try to compost corncobs". What =
nonsence. When cooked corn is either eaten or cut off of the cob there =
is still a great deal of nourishment to quickly grow a crop of =
mould/mycelia which in turn leads to a seethe of small insects. When I =
had time to collect beetles the corncob season contributed many small =
beetles not readily found otherwise. By tapping a ripened cob on a white =
styrofoam tray once or twice and I could almost count on finding some =
which were new to me.=20

    One change which has unwisely become almost universal is the =
gathering of dog poop (poly bagged for the landfill of all stupid ideas) =
and no doubt most kitty litter ends up in garbage also. I have even seen =
dog walkers gathering their dog poop when walking along a woods road ! =
Municipal composting, all indoors so far as I know, also steals food =
resource from insects who in earlier times would have access to more =
compost heaps, manure piles which also took scraps unsuitable for the =
hogs and food waste in dumps once they came along.
    Urban sprawl and paving of paradise has turned many waterways into =
open storm drains; a flood when it rains and a trickle after a few days =
without rain. And upland habitat is degraded by this dewatering of the =
landscape which follows even sparse residential development.=20
    Highway traffic takes out many insects. When we had a cottage at =
Sunken Lake we fairly often walked along the gravel public road ~1/4 of =
a mile to the woods road to Moosehorn Lake. Traffic on that road was =
light perhaps 50 cars a day but, when Dragonflies were emerging from the =
nearby lake one could count on seeing roadkill Dragonflies. Downwind =
from a hog barn, based on smell, I once noticed a carpet of insect =
exoskeletons coating the sandy soil beyond the 101 ditch.=20
    I am not entirely sure of this, having visited few farms recently, =
but I think most manure now is stored in covered tanks until spread, =
often by being drilled into the soil, and thus largely unavailable to =
insects.
    Being past my bedtime, I must quit this.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
   =20
    =20

  ----- Original Message -----=20