[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry - calcium exchangeable etc

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:51:22 +0000 (UTC)
From: David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@yahoo.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

------=_Part_3979060_217300509.1451217082431

The studies/modelling by=C2=A0=C2=A0Ouimet,=C2=A0Clair & others related to =
acid rain' =C2=A0& Noseworthy's thesis examining forest biomass harvesting =
include calculation of "Exceedances"which=C2=A0occur when the removal of ba=
sic cations by acid rain exceed the additionsthough atmospheric deposition =
and weathering of rocks....
The Noseworthy research, =C2=A0incorporated moredetailed local information =
than the Ouillet et al.study and made an upward revision of theestimate of =
the area of Nova Scotia mapped in exceedance from 39.9% to 73%. This issimp=
ly not good news for Nova Scotia: even with no harvesting, soil fertility u=
nder 73%of our forests will continue to decline because of acid rain.
Noseworthy presents results for calculations of sustainable harvest rates a=
cross Kejimkujik National Park for harvesting with and without base-cation =
depletions....* Although not specifically discussed in this context, the re=
sults can beinterpreted as indicating that limited selective harvest scheme=
s, but not clearcuts, wouldbe sustainable for most of that area. Such a con=
clusion would likely apply also to theBowater St. Margaret=E2=80=99s Bay La=
nds which have similar geology, and indeed probably tomost of Nova Scotia f=
orests.
(*There is no assumption that there would be commercial harvesting in Keji =
- details for Keji but not otherareas are apparently given because there ar=
e no commercial interests in it as it is a protected area; alsoexisiting da=
ta on outflow of nutrients in streams allowed some validation of the method=
ology.)
More at =C2=A0http://wrweo.ca/wrweo2014/posts/2014/LetterWRWEOFeb12.pdf
=C2=A0

=20