[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=208.103.231.40; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 19:20:13 -0400

IDEwJyBGaXIgdGhpY2tldHMgYW5kIGNyb3NzIHBpbGVkIHdpbmRmYWxscy

------=_NextPart_000_307E_01D14B12.C3893A20

Hi Mary & All,   =20
    No surprise at all because I feel the same way. But when trees begin =
to suffer from overcrowding then the prudent course of action is to thin =
lightly before the canopy of the keepers has begun to shrink. Those =
remaining trees appreciate their new lease on life and grow like weeds; =
provided you thin soon enough.=20
    Interesting that you used the term 'Occam's Razor' because in a way =
it fits; the ideal final state being the minimum number of trees that =
will collectively capture the maximum amount of sunlight.=20
    Light and water are the coarse controls which define growth rate, =
these two factors shape decisions when thinning and it is folly to fret =
about other possible effects if these are out of kilter.=20
Yt, Dave Webster

----- Original Message -----=20