[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 23:15:21 -0400
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

without a chainsaw; land in a tangle of 10' F
I have not been following this thread very closely but I get the feeling that it is about trees in a forest not about a ecological living forest habitat. Aging and crowding of trees is not necessarily a bad thing when it provided dead trees for habitat for wildlife. Some wildlife can only live in old over-crowded slow growing forests . We have successfully destroyed most of that habitat in Nova Scotia.

When will the forest managers start looking at all aspects of a forest ecology and not just the trees for future harvesting for human use?  At the moment we have to set aside areas as wilderness or special places to preserve the forest ecology and that has lead to scattered islands of habitat. Surely, forests can be managed to provide healthy forest ecology with wildlife habitat and yield a fraction for human use. We have to give up the greed and gratification of harvesting everything and hope it grows back.

Looking at the current state of Nova Scotia forest, they certainly have not been sustained by forest management practices in present use.  We now have large areas of scrub growing back over clear cuts and completely different collection of species growing where a more rich ecology used to exist.

I'll stop there.

Larry

Larry Bogan
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia