[NatureNS] Roland McCormick

From: Doug Linzey <doug.linzey@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:56:22 -0400

 todays Herald is the obit for Roland McCormick. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/
Thanks for letting us know about Roland, Paul.

His posts were indeed interesting, and often entertaining. This is one
from February 2009:

    I had a couple of fellows out on a hike one time who cooked a
    squirrel. They gave me a piece - so tough I couldn't chew it.
           As a teenager I did a good deal of trapping. We used to make
    squirrel traps of wood baited with apples. They worked wonderfully
    well but had to be tended twice a day or the squirrel would gnaw its
    way out of the trap.
           We also made dead falls to catch mink. One mink was worth two
    weeks of work in the mill. We also set snares and ocasionally caught
    a fox or a racoon. Our major income was from our muskrat - they were
    worth  about three dollars each. The first two years beaver season
    was open we caught several beaver, worth $50 each. Fur now is not
    worth catching - probably a good thing, better to let the animals
    live. People no longer have to live on the land, which is what we
    did before the second world war.

    Roland.

Cheers,
Doug