[NatureNS] Upland Sandpiper Flight

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 10:33:15 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01D15112.79BF33D0

Hi All,

This past autumn I operated 7 acoustic monitoring stations in various
locations in Nova Scotia. So far I have processed two of them, one at
Carleton, Yarmouth County, and one at Glasgow Head, Guysborough County. At
both stations, I recorded at least one Upland Sandpiper in August. The first
was 24 August in Carleton, and the second was 28 August at Glasgow Head. At
Carleton there was one 4-note call, at Glasgow Head there were four 3-4 note
calls that were 23, 25, and 16 seconds apart. The changes in loudness of the
calls indicate two birds in forward progress. The best recording of these
calls can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGGtsOihkE.

Ian McLaren in his All the Birds of Nova Scotia writes this species "is an
almost annual transient in very small numbers, fewer in recent years." Thus
it seems that it could be more than co-incidence that this species should
appear over two widely separated stations within 4 days of each other.
Records from eBird show another August record this year in Nova Scotia; 15
August at the Sydney Airport (David McCorquodale). Still another was at the
Kelly Road, Prince County, PEI on 28 August (Basil Conlin). I examined the
upper air maps for Yarmouth Airport over this period. There was a steady
southwest flow at the 925 millibar level (about 762 meters altitude) from
the night of 13 August straight through to 20 August. This flow extended
across northeastern North American on the night of 13 August and was
particularly strong in southeast Michigan and southwest Ontario. This would
suggest that upper air winds may have pushed migrating Upland Sandpipers
towards the Maritime Provinces from the northeast USA and southern Ontario.
It will be interesting to see if the other acoustic stations turn up more
Upland Sandpipers!

John

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01D15112.79BF33D0

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Hi =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>This past =
autumn I operated 7 acoustic monitoring stations in various locations in =
Nova Scotia. So far I have processed two of them, one at Carleton, =
Yarmouth County, and one at Glasgow Head, Guysborough County. At both =
stations, I recorded at least one Upland Sandpiper in August. The first =
was 24 August in Carleton, and the second was 28 August at Glasgow Head. =
At Carleton there was one 4-note call, at Glasgow Head there were four =
3-4 note calls that were 23, 25, and 16 seconds apart. The changes in =
loudness of the calls indicate two birds in forward progress. The best =
recording of these calls can be found at: <a =
href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5pGGtsOihkE">https://www.youtub=
e.com/watch?v=3D5pGGtsOihkE</a>. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Ian =
McLaren in his All the Birds of Nova Scotia writes this species =
&#8220;is an almost annual transient in very small numbers, fewer in =
recent years.&#8221; Thus it seems that it could be more than =
[...]
stations turn up more Upland Sandpipers! <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>John</span>=
------=_NextPart_000_0022_01D15112.79BF33D0--