[NatureNS] Birding in White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:28:22 -0400

It has been interesting  watching the feathered ones this past week or so.
We have our resident sparrows, the songs and the white throats and something
else I am unsure what so far but the surprise is the number of Juncos. We
have 30 or more at times of the duller, smaller ones ( I am assuming
juveniles and females) then a smaller group of quite aggressive, slightly
larger and much darker males and there seems to be two separate groups that
sometimes arrive at the same time.  We also have about a dozen Blue Jays a
few Starlings, lots of Mourning Doves, 30 and more at times.
There are the occasional Goldfinches, a Hairy Woodpecker pair and a Downy
female. The weather really hasn't been conductive to them needing the
feeders that much here until maybe last night. There isn't any sign of the
one legged Starling these days so hopefully it moved to another feeder.
there are several faithful feeder fillers around the neighbourhood.
We went to Bridgewater Friday afternoon and as we were leaving the river
area just about dusk, once again I watched the murmuration of Starlings
building. (above the newer bridge and up the river) While we were coming
down Victoria Street I noticed many Crows gathering as well, something I
hadn't noticed before. Pretty cool, but then I don't have to listen them.
The murmurations  bring to mind the Chimney Swifts I used to watch over the
United Church in Liverpool when I was growing up, many, many years ago!
Marg Millard

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point,
Nova Scotia , Canada
(902) 683-2393 MargMillard.ca
Facebook: White Point Artist, Marg Millard.