[NatureNS] pine siskin

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:34:04 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Nancy
Goldfinch is probably the most common finch at feeders here in Pictou Co.  but I have had a flock of 10 purple Finches most days at my feeder and I saw some on many of the CBCS I did.    There are other finches around as you get a little further out in the country. Pine and Evening Grosbeaks were seen by some observers on our counts in the area.

Pine Siskins seem to be hit and miss. Often when people see them, there are in wooded areas and in big numbers like flocks of 80-100. But these flocks are not encountered all that often. There is a huge cone crop on conifers in this area so I think birds are so far content to stay in the woods. A few Red and White-winged Crossbills are also being seen in more remote areas such as near Trafalfar. I have had only a couple redpolls this winter often just a bird flying overhead but a few were found on the Tatamagouche CBC.
Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad