[NatureNS] Protected areas; ATV use

From: John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 05:19:56 -0400

Hopefully, the ATV access debate will get resolved by sensible folks.

We were at a joint session in Weymouth a couple of years ago with various
stakeholders regarding the future of the Silver River/New France lands.  It
wasn't too difficult to agree to maintain access on the main existing
trails, open no new trails, and work together to accommodate times and
places when species at risk and sensitive environments might be adversely
affected. Wasn't rocket science, but did require a little mutual respect.
Maybe that's easier to achieve in smaller communities where folks in one
camp know those in another! :-)

By the way, another thing that environmentalists and ATV associations easily
agreed to was doing our damnedest to stop the depredations of the cowboys.
I suppose we could work together more to achieve that, but we have discussed
the issue at times already.  And I found that the ATV Association had good
suggestions.